Plate Solving - Issue SyncToTarget() RaDec sync rejected

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
Brunez

Plate Solving - Issue SyncToTarget() RaDec sync rejected

Post by Brunez »

Hi SC Team,
I have a problem with mount synchronization after plate solving is solved and first I list the equipment used so as to understand if the hardware is also compatible with the whole system:
SW AZEQ6 Pro, IMPORTANT: the mount is new and has never made a polar alignment, I am using plate solving because the terrace where I am has only the west \ south-west and north-west free
EQ Mode Cable connected directly in Hand Control on the mount.
EQ Mode software in HEQ5\HEQ6, I don't use the simulator ( Software Version V200Q )
Sharpcap Pro with license ( Software Version 3.2.6448 )
AllSkyPlateSolver with Index for my Camera (Software Version 1.4.5.11 )
PC With Windows 10 64Bit and Ascom Platform installed ( Software Version 6.5 SP1 )
Stellarium ( Software Version 0.20.3 )
ZWO Asi 120mini connected to PC, ST4 Port on the mount is free.

Normally the mount communicates perfectly with the various software, both via EQmode and via Sharpcap, I can move it manually, change speed and type of tracking (sideral, planetary, etc.), with Stellarium, pressing CTRL-1 points the star automatically by moving the mount, obviously not being aligned it moves pointing to an incorrect point but starts from point "A" to get to point "B" automatically.

The whole Plate Solving procedure is carried out successfully but when the time comes to synchronize the mount, I press ok and this error appears: SyncToTarget () RaDec sync rejected.
I tried to change the Append on Sync to Dialog Based item in the Ascom drivers and vice versa but the problem persists ... I had read this possible solution on other forums.

Could you kindly help me to solve this problem?
Thank you all.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Plate Solving - Issue SyncToTarget() RaDec sync rejected

Post by admin »

Hi,

the screenshot below shows the settings that I have on my Observatory PC, which work for me with my NEQ6. You should ignore the DxSA and DxSB values – they are just to do with the position of my mount at the last synchronisation. It's the ones below that that I think are the important ones.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (20.75 KiB) Viewed 3041 times
I do wonder though if the problem may be to do with the fact that you haven't polar aligned your mount. I presume you have tried to do a rough alignment by setting the altitude appropriately and trying to point north in the right direction, but if that significantly out then maybe EQMOD is rejecting the synchronisation command because it thinks it's too far away from the current position? This suspicion is confirmed by the comments from Chris Shillito (one of the EQMOD authors) in this thread : https://groups.io/g/EQMOD/topic/74725416#52311

Given that, I think the only way that you will be able to make this work is to get the polar of your mount at least close (within a few degrees). With a little care, that should be possible with the use of the altitude scale (or a protractor, as those altitude scales are notoriously inaccurate) and a compass.

Hope this helps, Robin
Brunez

Post by Brunez »

Hi Robin,
thanks! I did the polar alignment and it actually synchronized.

It was actually a synscan internal calculation problem, luckily I solved it.
Thanks a lot.
Mstraka606

Post by Mstraka606 »

I literally had the same problem tonight. I am perfectly polar aligned via PoleMaster. Mount and SC are talking but after a successful plate solve I got the same error.

Can you explain the solution with a bit more detail?
I have an EQ-6R mount.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Okay, if you are actually polar aligned and the starting position is correct then that would be a bit more unusual.

Check the SharpCap logs, as it records the mount position before the synchronisation attempt and the results of the plate solving operation – see if they are in close agreement or not.

Cheers, Robin
Mstraka606

Post by Mstraka606 »

Hi Robin. A little follow up. I occasionally am still having the problem described above. For example today I had everything working, moved the mount to a new location, hit the plate solve icon on the SC mount control and got sequentially the next two messages. I am at a loss for why this error is happening.
Attachments
A45472DE-391F-4565-A4D6-72395C5827C6.jpeg
A45472DE-391F-4565-A4D6-72395C5827C6.jpeg (63.54 KiB) Viewed 2605 times
73697BE5-DACF-4D5E-B3DE-EB56F1D31386.jpeg
73697BE5-DACF-4D5E-B3DE-EB56F1D31386.jpeg (243.14 KiB) Viewed 2605 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

this EQMOD thread suggests that trying to sync near the pole is a bad idea : https://groups.io/g/EQMOD/topic/74725416

Basically, although the distance between the mount position and the plate solve position isn't very large, the actual difference in RA could be large - this can cause EQMOD to reject the sync request.

cheers,

Robin
Mstraka606

Post by Mstraka606 »

Got it. Thank you.
Mstraka606

Post by Mstraka606 »

Hi Robin, this issue has resurfaced again for me. Two images below summarize situation. Plate solving works, M101 is away from Polaris. Offset is 2Degrees but the mount movement is rejected. Thanks for any suggestions. BTW I can skew the EQ6R with the SC controls…
496B8AAB-D217-47B7-8BEE-C21758A94F8B.jpeg
496B8AAB-D217-47B7-8BEE-C21758A94F8B.jpeg (845.91 KiB) Viewed 1597 times
D08D28C4-1BCF-4BB1-A642-FEE2F6E9EE81.jpeg
D08D28C4-1BCF-4BB1-A642-FEE2F6E9EE81.jpeg (798.41 KiB) Viewed 1597 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

searching for the mesasge 'RADec Sync was rejected' (which comes from the EQMOD ASCOM driver), it seems that EQMOD will reject a sync command if it thinks the sync will put it on the other side of the meridian. Not sure if this could be the issue in your case? There may be other things that cause EQMOD to do this beyond the meridian thing.

cheers,

Robin