Cannot connect to a USB2861 or an AV TO USB2.0 device

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
DavidBriggs124

Cannot connect to a USB2861 or an AV TO USB2.0 device

Post by DavidBriggs124 »

I have just resurected my Watec WAT-910HX/RC video camera after a six month hiatus and I now find that any version of SharpCap will not connect to it using a USB2861 or an AV TO USB2.0 video capture device. Selecting any of the devices just brings up a black window of the right proportions but SharpCap just quits after several seconds without any error messages. The camera works just fine with AmCap and Debut Screen and Video Recorder Free but I need the time stamping facilty provided by SharpCap for asteroid occultation observations. Everything worked fine the last time I used it about six monts ago. SharpCap also works OK with the internal laptop camera as well.

I am using Windows 10 version 20H2 having just updated to the latest version. The computer is a Packard Bell EasyNote TS13HR with 8GB Ram.

The USB2861 video capture sticks are a rather anonymous looking ClimaxDigital USB unit and a StarTech.com SVID2USB23.
The AV TO USB2.0 video capture stick is just labled Easier CAP.

Any suggestions. I have attached a log file as suggested.

Many thanks.
Attachments
Log_2020-11-06T20_46_42-12004.log
(21.23 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Cannot connect to a USB2861 or an AV TO USB2.0 device

Post by admin »

Hi,

I have a 2861 frame grabber the tie purchased from this website - http://www.ezcap.tv/ezcap116-drivers, and it still works for me when I use the drivers from that site (although I must admit that all I get is horizontal lines because I don't have an analogue video device to hand at the moment).

Did you get the opportunity to submit a bug report when SharpCap crashed? Your log file cuts off with the camera just starting up, so there is no information in it about the crash, and I couldn't spot anything that seem to tie in with your description in my uploaded crash reports. If you do get a chance to report the bug then please do so and then post a screenshot showing the bug report window as that helps me find the right report.

Cheers, Robin

PS. I Also have an 'SM Grabber device' that works with the drivers linked from here : https://www.8bitmammoth.com/easycap-dc6 ... -software/ - note that I haven't tried the 2020H2 version of Windows yet.
DavidBriggs124

Post by DavidBriggs124 »

The problem appears to be with the driver for the Startech SVID2USB23 video stick. There are reports on the PLANOCCULT forum that the driver for this device is not compatible with the current 20H2 release of Windows 10. StarTech is investigating the problem and will probably release a newer driver in due course. I will report back with the outcome of any new driver release.

Thanks..
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

thanks for sharing that info – unfortunately drivers have been the weak point for a lot of those frame grabber devices for some time. It's great that it sounds like the manufacturer is going to issue an update. Of course that's the advantage of buying a named brand like StarTech rather than some cheap off-brand version.

Cheers, Robin