Binning with ASI1600

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
stanlep

Binning with ASI1600

Post by stanlep »

I have a Win 7 Pro 64-bit operating system. I have SharpCap v3 installed. The camera I have is the ZWO ASI1600MM-Cool. When I click on the 'Binning' button SharpCap just lists four numbers: 1, 2, 3, and 4. I do not know if 2, for example, is a 1x2, a 2x1, or a 2x2 bin. Someone else who owns a different ZWO camera gets a complete list of bins that are more descriptive. For example, the list of available bins includes a 1x6 bin. My guess is that my camera does not yet have the full capabilities of SharpCap because it is a relatively new camera. Is this correct?
Stan
admin
Site Admin

Re: Binning with ASI1600

Post by admin »

Hi Stan,

if there is only one number shown then it is 1x1, 2x2, 3x3 etc.

The ZWO SDK only supports binning the same amount in each direction, although it may be that the ZWO ASCOM driver does give the option to bin 1x2 etc. In general there's not much mileage in using different binning in the two directions, although it is handy with some CCD cameras that have non-square pixels.

cheers,

Robin