Profile not saving focuser setting (v3.3.6882-64b)

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
celkins

Profile not saving focuser setting (v3.3.6882-64b)

Post by celkins »

Robin,
as usual, my setup is a little more complicated than usual, but I don't see why that should prevent correct behaviour...
My ASCOM focuser (Moonlite compatible) supports 2 motor units, since I have a motor on each scope: SC seems to save only the last set focuser, rather than saving the focuser as a part of the camera profile, which seems the logical place to me.
a) I load first copy of SC, open my first (colour) camera, and say it is correctly showing focuser M1
b) I load my second SC instance, but after opening the other camera profile (mono), it's also showing focuser unit M1
c) OK, so I select focuser M2 for camera profile mono, and save it as default.

If I now reload either copy, focuser M2 is selected for by default, regardless of camera profile choice, so I have to go in and reset for my previously correct camera...

It would seem reasonable to me to save the focuser along with the camera settings in the profile, rather than only having one "slot" for all possible instances - probably in the registry - to hold the focuser name... I can't see that changing this will cause any issues for people with a single focuser, and thus it should be a safe change

Thanks,
Carl
admin
Site Admin

Re: Profile not saving focuser setting (v3.3.6882-64b)

Post by admin »

Hi Carl,

my intention was to solve this problem in a slightly different way – to have a way to set up multiple SharpCap profiles on the same PC so that you could have SharpCap profile #1 which would be configured to talk to Mount1, Focuser A and so on, and profile #2 would talk to Mount 2, Focuser B and so on.

I can see what you're saying about the capture profiles being a possible place to store this information – however I am a little concerned that changing the behaviour of that would be unexpected to a large number of SharpCap users, so I am reluctant to make that sort of change as people tend to get upset when software suddenly does things they don't expect.

Cheers, Robin