Exposure length for ser files

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
Florence1

Exposure length for ser files

Post by Florence1 »

Hi there! I've had my Altair 290c for 18 months but I've never tried selecting a certain exposure length for a ser file for a planet. Usually I just choose say 1000 frames for the vid. Last night I selected to have the vid run for 90s on Jupiter. I had captured what I though was 5 vids of Jupiter and 1 of Saturn :( It started and as far as I was aware 1500 frames were taken. When it came to stacking, it was only showing as one frame taken and teeny file sizes. So, I decided today that I would rule lots of things out and it turns out that I can't choose how many seconds I'd like my ser file to run for. I can only use indiviual frame amounts. Why would this be? Thank you
admin
Site Admin

Re: Exposure length for ser files

Post by admin »

Hi,

not a problem I've run into before - If I set my capture up like this
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (32.28 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
Then I get the 1000 files I ask for in an SER file. Is that how you are setting up the capture or perhaps are you doing something different?

thanks,

Robin
Florence1

Post by Florence1 »

Hi Robin!

What I have been told is not to video the planets more than 90s due to rotation. I've been selecting 90s in the drop down menu of quick capture and also in the start capture menu in your photo. I'd like to do a 90s video as I can get a higher frame rate. Does that make sense?

Thanks
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Florence
I'd like to do a 90s video as I can get a higher frame rate
The length of the video will not affect the frame rate. To get the best frame rate, the exposure needs to be as short as possible. In order to achieve a lower exposure, then for planetary, the gain needs to be set to 60% (or higher for fainter objects).

Have a look at viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2857. I set the gain to 60% for Jupiter (80% for Saturn), then adjusted the exposure until the right hand side of the histogram was around 70%.

Selecting 90s (or other durations) does work. It might be best to post a capture settings file of a screen shot of a capture in progress (see my link for an example). Make sure you select SER for the output format.

Dave