Camera and HP Pavilion Laptop Issue

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
ColinR

Camera and HP Pavilion Laptop Issue

Post by ColinR »

Hi, I have two possibly related problems
A) When I connect my AA 183C ProTEC to my new HP Pavilion laptop the message I receive is "Your camera seems to have stopped responding..." When I follow the instructions on how to proceed, then SharpCap occasionally works when I unplug and replug as directed. Most of the time this does not work. Often, SharpCap crashes. However once and only once from repeated attempts has a bug report appeared.
I have hit post button, but I think I have missed the opportunity to fill in useful data. As I said I cannot get the Bug Report to reappear.

This problem does not appear when the camera is connected to any of my other PCs:

1. Eagle 2 Windows Enterprise
2. Older Packard Bell Laptop Windows 10 Laptop
3. Windows 10 PC

B) Also the HP Pavilion Laptop does not recognize my AA GPCAM Mono camera. I realize that this may be a known problem with older GPCams?

Any thought on the cause and solution to these problems would be greatly appreciated.

Colin
admin
Site Admin

Re: Camera and HP Pavilion Laptop Issue

Post by admin »

Hi,

It sounds like a problem with USB data transfer – there's a page with a lot of suggestions on troubleshooting USB issues (the link is in the orange box at the top of this forum). Unfortunately dealing with these problems is largely a case of trial and error to try and work out how to set up the USB connection to the camera in a way that works reliably. The bug reports from this sort of situation tend not to be desperately useful as they will just say something along the lines of 'sent command XYZ to the camera and did not get a response'.

Some things to try include

Using a USB2 cable instead of USB3 cable
using as short a USB cable as possible with no hubs or extensions
adding a hub if you aren't already using one (just occasionally this seems to help)
trying different USB ports on the computer – sometimes one portal set of ports will fail and others will work
adjusting the USB speed parameter in the controls down to the minimum value.

Hope these help, Robin

PS.you are right that there is unfortunately an incompatibility between the latest Altair SDK which supports new models and the very oldest GP cameras. You would need to go back and use an older version of SharpCap (3.1?)
ColinR

Re: Camera and HP Pavilion Laptop Issue

Post by ColinR »

Robin,
Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. I will pursue your suggestions.

Thanks again
Colin