A few glitches in SharpCap

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
libmar96

A few glitches in SharpCap

Post by libmar96 »

Hello,
I'd like to report some bugs I've found in SharpCap. I use 3.0 version on Windows 8. My camera is ASI178MM-c.

1) After some time, exposure time in EXIF files completely resets to zero. It's a very important thing, because Muniwin (a program for photometry) doesn't want to create a masterdark with fits files that have exposure length at 0. I haven't when does it exactly happen yet.

2) When binning 4x4, after choosing exposure longer than 500ms (like 1s), some frames suddenly get overexposured (for 0.1s). This is unacceptable for me, because I'm streaming the stars on the sky on my FB page and this flashing doesn't look neat.

3) I have a free version. So, when I'm applying a dark, I can't record again. And I still can't record again after turning off the dark, so I need to open the program again.

4) My camera often doesn't show in the list after opening the program. I need to plug out and plug in the camera. Sometimes it still doesn't help and I need to try two to five times to work.

5) When working at fast speed, computer saves more frames than you requested (for example, applying 100 frames at 50 FPS gives me around 105 frames instead of 100).
admin
Site Admin

Re: A few glitches in SharpCap

Post by admin »

Hi,

1) Please explain a bit more about how you are saving the files that have the wrong exposure information - it sounds like a bug but I'm not sure where to start looking.

2) The actual time shown for the 'last frame' is the time taken for the frame to be aquired from the camera rather than the actual exposure duration. The time only steps in increments of 0.1s, so depending on camera readout time it's perfectly possible for it to show a little higher than the set exposure duration. I have not seen ZWO cameras giving an incorrect exposure before, but I also don't tend to use 4x4 binning. I will have to test this

3) This is how the trial for the paid features is supposed to work. Once you have tried one of the paid features without a license you have to close and re-open to save any images.

4) Sounds like your camera is not being detected by the ZWO SDK for some reason - this usually comes down to hardware issues (poor USB connections, over long leads. SharpCap only shows ZWO cameras when they are detected by the SDK, whereas the DirectShow and ASCOM versions of the camera show up all the time but then don't work if the camera connection isn't correct.

5) Known issue - it's on the list to fix.

cheers,

Robin