SyncToTarget() RaDec sync rejected

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
pludikar

SyncToTarget() RaDec sync rejected

Post by pludikar »

Hi,

I'm not 100% sure these are bugs, but it feels like it. I couldn't find anyone else asking this, although it's possible I wasn't using the right keywords.

I have an HEQ5 pro driven by ASCOM and EQMOD. I have both SC and CDC connected to ASCOM/EQMOD HEQ5/6. I can slew the mount anywhere CDC commands. Using the navigation buttons in EQMOD I can also move the mount as expected.

When I first initiate SC and set the ASCOM track rate (eg sidereal), SC follows suit. However, if I attempt to use the scope controls in SC (N,S,E or W) the SC Track mode jumps to "?", even though the EQMOD display still shows sidereal.

SC after SC nav.png
SC after SC nav.png (271.23 KiB) Viewed 1759 times

A second issue is that I frequently get a "SyncToTarget() RaDec sync was rejected" error. I'm not sure if it's related to the 1st issue, but this error is intermittent. It will get into a mode when all attempts to plate solve, which for some unclear reason can take a while, and attempts to move to the new position are rejected. At other times it behaves nicely and does what is expected.

I use Bitdefender as my AV, but it was disabled for this log. There are no other AVs active. I also run my mount/SC and CDC remotely via AnyDesk on a Windows 10 laptop, but I've never had any issues with that aspect before.

Here's the pertinent snippet of the log:

Code: Select all

Info:	22:02:56.2312992 Thread:#1 SharpCap.ViewModels.PlateSolveAndResync+<SolveAndSync>d__7.MoveNext() :: Before Sync mount is at RA=03:32:04,Dec=89:36:37N
Error:	22:02:56.3352377 Thread:#1 SharpCap.ViewModels.PlateSolveAndResync+<SolveAndSync>d__7.MoveNext() :: Exception of type DriverAccessCOMException from Sycing mount to RA=04:43:48,Dec=89:34:14N : SyncToTarget() RaDec sync was rejected. 
Stack Trace:   at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.CallMember(Int32 memberCode, String memberName, Type[] parameterTypes, Object[] parms) in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\MemberFactory.cs:line 483
   at ASCOM.DriverAccess.Telescope.SyncToCoordinates(Double RightAscension, Double Declination) in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\Telescope.cs:line 1135
   at SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM.MountInterceptionProxy.SyncToCoordinates(Double RightAscension, Double Declination) in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap3.2\src\SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM\MountInterceptionProxy.cs:line 129
   at SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM.MountWrapper.SyncTo(Double actualPositionRightAscension, Double actualPositionDeclination) in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap3.2\src\SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM\MountWrapper.cs:line 582
   at SharpCap.Models.Mount.SyncTo(RADecPosition actualPosition) in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap3.2\src\SharpCap\Models\Mount.cs:line 298
   at SharpCap.ViewModels.PlateSolveAndResync.<SolveAndSync>d__7.MoveNext() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap3.2\src\SharpCap\ViewModels\PlateSolveAndResync.cs:line 119
Error:	22:02:56.3352377 Thread:#1 SharpCap.Base.Utilities.Logger.Error(Exception e, String action, String additionalInfo, Boolean stackTrace) :: Inner Exception : System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: SyncToTarget() RaDec sync was rejected.
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.RuntimeType.InvokeDispMethod(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Object target, Object[] args, Boolean[] byrefModifiers, Int32 culture, String[] namedParameters)
   at System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags bindingFlags, Binder binder, Object target, Object[] providedArgs, ParameterModifier[] modifiers, CultureInfo culture, String[] namedParams)
   at System.Type.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object target, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture)
   at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.CallMember(Int32 memberCode, String memberName, Type[] parameterTypes, Object[] parms) in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\MemberFactory.cs:line 443
The full log is attached also. Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

regards
Peter
Attachments
Log_2020-06-03T20_22_23-10316.log
(893.69 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: SyncToTarget() RaDec sync rejected

Post by admin »

Hi,

I just tested tracking rate problem and I see that myself when using the EQMOD simulator, so I should be able to work out what that is and fix that hopefully.

I suspect that the failure to sync is probably down to EQMOD being clever. There are at least two modes for how it can handle sync commands – one is a simple mode that just sets the coordinates to the given values and the other builds a map of the sky trying to account for deviations in the mount movement. I wonder if you have the second, more complex, mode enabled. In that case the Ascom driver may decide that a particular set of results don't agree with its internal map and therefore reject it. You could try switching it over into the simple synchronisation mode or, in recent versions of SharpCap, there is an option in the plates solving settings to perform and offset go to when using the plate solver and re-synchronise option – in that case SharpCap just works out how far off the current position is and then asks the mount to go to a carefully calculated position that should put the target in the centre.

Hope this helps, Robin