Is update check functioning properly?

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
mtrnyc

Is update check functioning properly?

Post by mtrnyc »

Hi -- I've been suffering persistent crashes with SharpCap Pro during live stacking with darks and flats. Before diving into the details I wanted to check if I've missed a version update, and in fact I had. I'll find out later tonight if my particular problem has been resolved. But I did want to point out that the "Check for Updates" returned a "you have the latest version" message so I only found out when I started reviewing information in the website. FWIW I'm running an ASI1600MC in Windows 10 and the version I had was 3.0.3994.0. I now have 3.0.4002.0 and I'll write back if the crashes persist. Thanks for the great software, though -- I feel like it is enabling me to do some amazing things!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Is update check functioning properly?

Post by admin »

Ah, good spot - human error on my part not pushing the latest build out to auto-update. I tend to put up a new build and leave it for about a week before setting it up for auto-update, and this version just slipped past me!

cheers,

Robin
mtrnyc

Post by mtrnyc »

Thanks, Robin.

After installing the new version I'm sorry to say that I continue to experience crashes. I've sent in a bunch of crash reports which all identify the same bad memory call even though the conditions of the crash have varied a bit. It's a big enough problem that I'm using version 2.9 instead of the paid up Pro version -- no crashes with this. I'm running Windows 10 on a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 with an i7 and 8 GB memory. Let me know if there is more that I can do to help get this debugged.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ok, please can you send me a screenshot of the crash message so that I can be sure I am looking at the right error reports when I look into this.

If it's the one I think it is then it is a problem in the ZWO SDK :( I do have a new version of their SDK in the pre-release builds for 3.1 - you ware welcome to test that if you want - let me know and I will add you to the alpha testers group.

cheers,

Robin
mtrnyc

Post by mtrnyc »

Ok, I'd be honored to join the alpha testers so please add me in. Hopefully both types of crashes below can be resolved!

I ran the camera and had a crash within a few minutes.

Here is a screenshot
crash1.JPG
crash1.JPG (57.75 KiB) Viewed 2255 times

I realized however that this crash is not the memory based crash so I repeated the experiment and this time opened one additional resource intensive app (one that I would like to be able to use with my SharpCap sesssions). I'm pretty sure this is the message I've received most often.
Attachments
crash2.JPG
crash2.JPG (52.51 KiB) Viewed 2255 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah, interesting...

The second is just running out of memory (or rather there is not a single block big enough to satisfy the request) - that should be fixed in 3.1 as long as you are using 64 bit windows - I have made the memory handling much smarter.

The first bug isn't the one I expected - it's in the debayer code which is my code. Give 3.1 a try and see if it fixes the issue, if not then I will look more closely.

cheers,

Robin

PS - you are in the alpha testers group now - you'll see an extra forum at the bottom of the list and you'll find the alpha build download link in that.