Captures lost

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
RJF-Astro

Captures lost

Post by RJF-Astro »

Hi there! I have been using SharpCap succesfully for over a year now. But yesterday something went wrong. I was taking captures of the moon with my ASI120MM. Everything went well and I did not saw anything out of the ordinary. This morning I wanted to proces the captures, only to find out that the capture folder is mostly empty.

Only the first two captures were recorder. After that there are only camera setting files, but no movie files or histograms.

What could have caused this? I have no log file. My version is 3.2.6248 and it is running on Windows 10.
Attachments
22_56_01.CameraSettings.txt
(653 Bytes) Downloaded 85 times
sharpcap.JPG
sharpcap.JPG (51.26 KiB) Viewed 1110 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Captures lost

Post by admin »

Hi,

Sorry to hear that you have had capture files go missing. The first thing that springs to mind was to wonder whether your hard disk was very nearly full – there could be situations where the disc was too full to write the capture file but the small settings file could be written. However if this happened you should have seen an error message in SharpCap morning you that captures were failing.

If you go and looked in the folder

Code: Select all

C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\SharpCap\logs
You should find all the log files from recent uses of SharpCap including those covering the time that the issue happened. The name of the log file includes the date and time that SharpCap was started, so hopefully you would be to find the correct log file in that folder and send it to me and I can investigate further what might have got wrong.

Thanks, Robin
RJF-Astro

Post by RJF-Astro »

Hi Robin, thank you for your reply! Disk space was also my first thought, but this should not be the issue as there was about 230 GB left.

I have found the log file, see attachment. I had a quick look at it, but I cannot see anything obvious. Are there any clues in the log file? Thanks for looking!
Log_2020-05-30T22_42_13-9880.log
(124.59 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I think the most likely cause is that you had breast the 'Pause' button on the toolbar at some point during the capture to 22_47_18.avi . One thing I hadn't realised was that if you finish a capture with the pause button pressed then it stays pressed when you start the next capture, meaning that no frames will be saved. Fortunately due to a separate slight glitch in the code any frame that is not saved due to being paused is logged as a drop frame due to 'OutOfBuffers' - seeing log entries about that in the code allowed me to work out what had gone on.

I will be changing the behaviour of the pause button so that it becomes unselected every time you start a new capture.

Sorry for the inconvenience of losing the captures :(

Cheers, Robin
RJF-Astro

Post by RJF-Astro »

Thanks for the update! Yes I hit pause. I wanted to try if I could correct for drift and then continue, but in the end I decided to cancel (if I remember correctly). Normally I don't use pause. So it is good to know and really great if it got fixed. And the moon will still be around for some time, so I am sure I will make up for this ;)