Live Stack not saving in correct folder

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
BlackWikkett

Live Stack not saving in correct folder

Post by BlackWikkett »

Hi All,

SC 3.2.6342 not saving to correct folder. Saving in Live Stack (any of the four options) saves to the previous objects folder name in a folder named the time of save. Example I was imaging M101 and saved several stacks correctly to; C:\Users\Chris\Desktop\SharpCap Captures\2020-05-30\M101 then moved to M27 but when saving the folder was not M27 but reverted to M101 example: C:\Users\Chris\Desktop\SharpCap Captures\2020-05-31\M101 ( time did change to next day since past midnight) This has been working correctly about 3 versions ago. This is first time since March I've had a chance to use my gear.

My settings:
filename settings.PNG
filename settings.PNG (45.08 KiB) Viewed 2033 times
Restarting SC will work for the first new object then requires restart to work correctly moving forward.

-Chris
Menno555

Re: Live Stack not saving in correct folder

Post by Menno555 »

I have that too. But found a workaround: at top of the main window, there is a field called Target Name. Just type the name you want to use and press Enter on your keyboard. Nothing seems to happen other then a sound signal but then it works and everything is saved in the right folder.

Menno
BlackWikkett

Post by BlackWikkett »

The target name field at the top of the SC UI is what I've always used. Normally type the object name and tab to save it in the field. I've also found a work around. Clear the target name field then press tab. Start a new Live stack and type a new target name and tab to save. This seems to work for now. Let me know if you need logs.

-Chris
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Chris,

I think I'd be most interested in the exact set of steps that makes this break – I've seen similar reports before, but the only ones I've been able to reproduce and now fixed as far as I know. There was a previous issue where if you tabbed away from the target box it worked, but if you clicked somewhere else it didn't, but I thought this was fixed now.

Anyway, if you can give me an exact workflow to break it then I will do my very best to fix it :-)

Cheers, Robin
BlackWikkett

Post by BlackWikkett »

Hi Robin,

I'm doing this from memory but it's my basic process whilst using Live Stacking so should be fairly accurate. I'll document it step by step the next time I have a chance to image in case there's any difference.

1. in SC UI target name type name of object and click keyboard tab to save
2. start live stacking for "x" images until i'm ready to move to next object
3. save with adjustments. save to folder name typed in at step 1. target name
4. stop live stack and slew to new object and plate solve
5. in SC UI target nam type name of new object
6. start live stacking for "x" images
7. save with adjustments and images is saved to original name typed into target name in step 1

I do use remote desktop to access the computer hosting SC and do tab in the remote session to different apps running then back to sharp cap. Also tab away changing focus to the local machine away from the remote desktop. I've not changed anything that i normally do in the course of an evenings imaging. Reason i posted the bug report was some other broadcasters on NSN had experienced this bug in the past but thought it was fixed.

Hope this helps.
-Chris
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Chris,

I think it's the exact details about steps for five and six that are the key here – which way you stop live stacking (do you close the live stacking area, press pause or do something else?), Exactly what you do when you enter the new name and how you restart the stacking afterwards. I've tried a few different variations on the steps you suggest and still can't get it to break in the latest SharpCap, but it's just that I'm probably not doing the exact sequence of things that you are.

Cheers, Robin
BlackWikkett

Post by BlackWikkett »

Hi Robin,

Step 4 Stop Live Stack, close the feature with x in the lower third of the live stack window
SC - LS Close.png
SC - LS Close.png (79.15 KiB) Viewed 1984 times
Alternatively click the Live Stack button on the to of SC UI to close it
SC - LS - UI Close.png
SC - LS - UI Close.png (8.11 KiB) Viewed 1984 times
So not pausing but actually closing the feature. Then When I come back to it I clear before the first image comes in. I may have a chance to test this in the next few days. The computer that this was on is not local to me. I'll give an update soon as I can.

-Chris
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Okay, thanks for that – I've managed to make this happen at least once now so I have a good chance of being able to track down the cause and work out a fix.

Cheers, Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

in the end I only got this to break once - after that it just kept working as it should :( That meant I haven't been able to fix it, but I have put in extra logging so that if you can break it again the log should contain info that will help track down the cause. Please use latest version (3.2.6356) for this.

thanks, Robin
copperg

Post by copperg »

Hi Guys,
Yep, I have the same problem. Been really bugging me lately.
I run EAA and usually save some for quick FB Posts to our Club Astro page but I spend an hour the next day sorting capture sequences into their correct folders before some quick processing.
Love SharpCap otherwise & the great features in the Pro version but these messed up folders are a real pain.
I'm currently saving live stacks tonight & finding half are in the wrong folders. Doesn't seem to be any logic to it. (Couldn't spot anything in the manual that helped - hence I'm on the Forum....)
I should probably check if there's been a fix in the last month.

Anyone figured out what the problem is??

GC