banding problem with 3.2 version

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
Bethmael

banding problem with 3.2 version

Post by Bethmael »

I updated to 3.2, but I started to have heavy banding on pictures. I have a RIsingcam1600. With 3.1 no problem. I think something with usb driver and speed but I can't fix it. I have a pro license on the 3.2. version, but I have to use the unregistered 3.1 to avoid banding. I have tried, cables, changing port, anything... no problem with 3.1 or other software but heavy horizontal banding with 3.2. Any suggestion?
admin
Site Admin

Re: banding problem with 3.2 version

Post by admin »

Hi,

Are you using an Ascom driver to talk to this camera? As far as I am aware you would have the choice of an Ascom driver or the direct show driver to get this camera working with SharpCap. In the case of the Ascom driver, SharpCap can only adjust the exposure and gain directly (everything else needs to be adjusted by the user in the Ascom setup dialogue the camera).

Cheers, Robin
Bethmael

Post by Bethmael »

I use the Ascom driver, windows 10... in 3.1 all is perfect... in 3.2 terrible banding!
Rab722

Post by Rab722 »

I also had some strange circular banding with the newest revision when I stretched the histogram. Looked like a series of donuts. I could not find a settings issue, darks and flats were ones I had used before , so I uninstalled and went back to the March 16 version and stretches were back to normal.

Hardware is C8 with Hyperstar and a ZWO ASI533mc.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Rab722 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:50 pm I also had some strange circular banding with the newest revision when I stretched the histogram. Looked like a series of donuts. I could not find a settings issue, darks and flats were ones I had used before , so I uninstalled and went back to the March 16 version and stretches were back to normal.

Hardware is C8 with Hyperstar and a ZWO ASI533mc.
Hi,

I think there was discussion of this previously in the context of flat correction – after a lot of investigation it turned out that taking all the flats/dark/image frames in SharpCap 3.2 work fine and taking them all in SharpCap 3.1 works fine, but having a mixture could lead to issues. We never found a cause in the SharpCap code and ended up suspecting that changes in the camera SDK from one of the manufacturers (unfortunately no way of knowing what's changed in those between different versions of SharpCap) was the underlying cause of the problem.

Cheers, Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Bethmael wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:01 pm I use the Ascom driver, windows 10... in 3.1 all is perfect... in 3.2 terrible banding!
Hi,

If we are going to dig any deeper into this, please can you capture a single frame with the same settings in both versions of SharpCap and share both frames (in PNG or fits format) so that I can see the difference. Note that if the camera has a fan, I would suggest having it either off on at full speed. I have seen cameras where having the fan running at a lower speed than full introduces banding problems.

Cheers, Robin
Bethmael

Post by Bethmael »

see attached file... dark frame with 3.1 and 3.2. cooler on at 100./. but with cooler off is the same. The fits are too big to attach, if you need I can send you in other way!
Attachments
250ms700gain32.jpg
250ms700gain32.jpg (33.25 KiB) Viewed 2251 times
60sec700gain31.jpg
60sec700gain31.jpg (36.61 KiB) Viewed 2251 times
60s700gain32.jpg
60s700gain32.jpg (22.57 KiB) Viewed 2251 times
Bethmael

Post by Bethmael »

the last dark
Attachments
250ms700gain31.jpg
250ms700gain31.jpg (29.77 KiB) Viewed 2249 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Yes, I think it would be best if you could share the fits files – and the capture settings files that are stored alongside them please. Probably the easiest thing is to put them into dropbox or Google Drive and then post the sharing link here so that I can download them. You could also send it to me via private message if you want.

Cheers, Robin