ASI6200 failing with exposure over 2 sec

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
cwiecha

ASI6200 failing with exposure over 2 sec

Post by cwiecha »

Hi -- I'm trying to use my newly-arrived ZWO ASI6200 with Sharpcap in live mode, either single image or stacking.

I find that with both the native ASI driver and the ASCOM driver that exposures of less than or equal to 2 sec seem reliably stable. Switching to 4 sec will usually handle 2 frames after which all frames will be dropped and the image exposure counter seems to peg just above a fraction of a second.

I did download the current 64bit build but same results.

Interestingly, I just checked also in TheSky X and get a similar behavior, namely 2 sec exposures will return correctly and continue in sequence but setting exposure to 4 sec will hang. Now I'm not sure if this is actually a HW problem or perhaps again a driver issue which at least for ASCOM would be similar in SharpCap and TheSKy cases.

I've attached both logs for the native and ASCOM test cases...could you pls take a look and see if you think this is a driver or perhaps SharpCap config issue? I bumped up the memory settings for both cache and live to about 4G which is as high as they would both go on a 16GB Intel NUC.

If you think it's likely HW I will go back to the ZWO folks and get their feedback as well...perhaps they have a test app they can send to diagnose without mailing the camera back in :-(

Thanks for any help in the meantime! At least the first 2 frames look great so I'm looking forward to stacking more :-)

Charlie Wiecha
Attachments
Log_ASI6200_native_driver.log
(53.27 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
Log_ASI6200_ASCOM_driver.log
(26.82 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
aeosdan

Re: ASI6200 failing with exposure over 2 sec

Post by aeosdan »

Hi Charlie,

I thought I should chime in to say I have the exact same issue with my ASI6200MM Pro. Latest driver, latest Sharpcap. I've tested numerous settings and it will occasionally capture a short frame but never a decent long exposure.

Camera works perfectly in ASIStudio.

I've swapped to a short USB3.0 cable and the problem persists.

Kind regards,
Dan Kennedy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Sorry for not responding to the first post here. Sometimes they just slip past me I'm afraid :(

SharpCap switches over the camera from video mode to still capture mode at about two seconds exposure, so I suspect that this is related to the problem you are seeing.

Some things you can try hard to turn down the Turbo USB control value (you may have to turn it off of automatic mode first). Also check that you have the very latest version of SharpCap (which will make sure you have the latest ZWO SDK) and also the very latest ZWO drivers.

If none of that helps, please post a full log from SharpCap after the problem has occurred so that we can see if there's anything in the log that might help explain what is going on.

Cheers, Robin
a-po

Post by a-po »

I don't know if it can help and is related to the same cause, but with my 533 I can't go beyond 2 seconds exposure without the 12V alim.
Beyond 2 seconds and without the 12V alim, the USB connection appear unstable, whatever I use or not the cooling.
To investigate ?