ZWO EAF Focuser and applying Backlash

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
Real14

ZWO EAF Focuser and applying Backlash

Post by Real14 »

Hi,

I just installed a ZWO EAF focuser on my scope and see the following and I do not know if it is a bug or not.

I have set a backlash of e.g. 90 steps.

When I activate the focuser with the Coarse clicks the Backlash is applied but when I apply the steps in Fine I do not see that the Backlash compensation is applied.

Was this on purpose or just a mistake not to apply it and if on purpose may I ask why ? It has no logic for me not to apply the backlash when focusing fine at least for me as I make iterations back and forth in fine focusing method.

Thanks and regards Rainer
regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
22° North 101° West
admin
Site Admin

Re: ZWO EAF Focuser and applying Backlash

Post by admin »

Hi,

There is no difference in the way that the course and fine buttons are handled inside SharpCap except for the different size of the move command
sent to the Ascom driver (I had to go and check this in the code to make absolutely sure). I think that means that you would find that if you set the step sizes to be the same for both the coarse and fine buttons then the behaviour for both would be identical. That in turn means that the different backlash behaviour for the two different adjustment sizes must be coming from within the Ascom driver itself, which is weird. Are there any other settings in the ZWO Ascom driver that might affect this behaviour?

Cheers, Robin
Real14

Re: ZWO EAF Focuser and applying Backlash

Post by Real14 »

admin wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:37 pm Hi,

There is no difference in the way that the course and fine buttons are handled inside SharpCap except for the different size of the move command
sent to the Ascom driver (I had to go and check this in the code to make absolutely sure). I think that means that you would find that if you set the step sizes to be the same for both the coarse and fine buttons then the behaviour for both would be identical. That in turn means that the different backlash behaviour for the two different adjustment sizes must be coming from within the Ascom driver itself, which is weird. Are there any other settings in the ZWO Ascom driver that might affect this behaviour?

Cheers, Robin
Hi Robin,

Thanks for reading. I am at the moment unable to test it again as I am traveling. I will be back March 18th in my observatory and then I can test it again.

Sorry and regards Rainer
regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
22° North 101° West