SharpCap fails after Sensor Analysis -- Copy to Clipboard

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
iamhondo

SharpCap fails after Sensor Analysis -- Copy to Clipboard

Post by iamhondo »

I've been working (and I do mean "working") with the Sensor Analysis option of SC 3.2.6173. I also ran some SAs with 6137. In 100% of the cases where the analysis completed and I clicked on the option to "Copy to Clipboard", there was a pregnant pause and suddenly SC displayed the Exception screen of death. I know I added and commented before dispatching 2 or 3 of these incidents. My first question is -- Have the error reports been received?

I discovered that despite the ominous error message, all the sensor data was recorded in the file and a small subset was correctly copied to the clipboard (for pasting into a spreadsheet).

Eventually, I visited the forum and I fully expected to see previous reports of the error after the SA Copy to Clipboard. AFAICT there aren't any. Am I really the only one getting this error (on multiple PCs with different versions of SC)?

When I looked into the log for the long SA session, I expected to see some details of the catastrophe. But the log seemed unperturbed by the error. I didn't notice any mention or concern.

So in review:
1) Are my error reports being received?
2) Is this the first time this error is being encountered?
3) Shouldn't there be evidence in the log?
4) What do I need to do to help fix this error?

Regards,
Joe
admin
Site Admin

Re: SharpCap fails after Sensor Analysis -- Copy to Clipboard

Post by admin »

Hi Joe,

Annoyingly, it's quite tricky to pick out a particular crash report from the ones that are uploaded – the way they are organised is largely designed around allowing me to find the ones I happen most often (and therefore affecting most people). The best thing for you to do is to include a screenshot of the window that offers to submit the bug report which will help me find it amongst all the other bug reports.

Cheers, Robin
iamhondo

Post by iamhondo »

Very early after I first discovered the automatic/comprehensive bug report, I wondered how many bug reports flooded your inbox. I don't think the "most reports" always reflects the "most people affected". Many people (like me) will just retry (and retry and retry) in hopes the first bug condition was a fluke. It's like pressing the elevator button long after you or someone else pressed it. I think the most reports reflects the "most repeatable bug". (Or maybe the most stubborn users)

Anyway, I sympathize with your deluge issues. I'll find a screen shot (original or reproduced) and send it along here.

Joe
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Joe,

Fortunately I do have the reports organised in a way that lets me tell the difference between one person trying the same thing over and over again and many people suffering the same problem – I will always try to fix the problems of the latter sort before the former!

Cheers, Robin
iamhondo

Post by iamhondo »

It took me some time to collect another successful Sensor Analysis with a copy-to-clipboard fail. I had several SA's fail with lighting too bright or too dim. One attempt simultaneously reported too light and too dark conditions.

The successful SA as shown in the attachment was followed by the copy-to-clipboard failure. I did a Send-and-Exit. I confirmed that the SA results were recorded in the SensorCharacteristics folder.

Hopefully the combination of the screen shot and the error report will help you identify the problem.

Clear skies,
Joe
Attachments
Annotation 2020-01-04 165213 copy to clipboard fail.png
Annotation 2020-01-04 165213 copy to clipboard fail.png (200.35 KiB) Viewed 1952 times
Annotation 2020-01-04 165053 Kingdel ASI071-8.png
Annotation 2020-01-04 165053 Kingdel ASI071-8.png (111.26 KiB) Viewed 1952 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

That's interesting – the error code indicates that something else is most likely using the clipboard preventing SharpCap from accessing it. Apparently various background programs that include screen capture applications, remote PC access tools etc can cause this since they access the clipboard frequently to keep track of any changes in it.

I can stop the error from killing SharpCap and also put in some code to make it retry a few times, but if something else really does have the clipboard in use almost all of the time then I may not be able to fix this fully.

Thanks, Robin
iamhondo

Post by iamhondo »

Interesting. IIRC, I could paste the clipboard contents into a new spreadsheet well after SC reported the error and departed. IOW, the clipboard had SC's data when it reported the failure. To confirm this, I'd need to repeat some SA's. Too time consuming for this clipboard glitch.

The affiliation with a remote-pc is spot on. I run most of my SA's from headless, unkeyboarded, demoused mini-pcs using VNC. The VNC settings seem generous regarding the clipboard -- no overt restrictions. I ran one SA directly from my laptop and there was no clipboard abort. That probably explains why this isn't a chronic bug.

If you want to un-dramatize the response to the clipboard error, that's fine. Like I said, it's probably only for remote pc operators like me and I still suspect the copy-to-clipboard is really working, notwithstanding the Windows complaint.

Thanks,
Joe
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Joe,

yes, I went for a retry a few times and then show an error approach (instead of crashing). If the clipboard has been populated anyway then the error is misleading, but not in a bad way.

cheers, Robin