SC Crashes while testing Plate Solve by Pressing Setup

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
GaryS

SC Crashes while testing Plate Solve by Pressing Setup

Post by GaryS »

HI:
I've been trying to simulate a plate solve before I use it for an observing session.

In doing this I'm using Test Camera 1. In using the scope controls to get the scope/mount location within the 15 degrees of M42, I pressed the 'Setup' button' to see what it does - this crashed SC.

I restarted SC and completed moving the mount to within 15 degrees of M42 and had a successful Plate Solve - does that mean I have installed all the correct indexes? Does Astrotoaster need to be running or just sitting quietly on the desktop? I had opened the application but done nothing with it.

Once the plate solve was complete, I again tested the 'Setup' button and SC crashed again. Is this a known bug or do I have a problem with my downloaded version of SC Pro? The last sentence in the manual on the Mount Control topic is vague and incomplete about what the Setup button does and I'm obviously unable to find out by pressing it. Could someone please explain it's function and also let me know if I can carry out an actual plate solve, or just use the mount controls, without having the ability use whatever resources appear when the 'Setup' button is pressed?
Thank you!
Gary
admin
Site Admin

Re: SC Crashes while testing Plate Solve by Pressing Setup

Post by admin »

Hi,

What mount are you using? I don't see any crash from pressing the setup button using the simulator mount that is built into Ascom, so perhaps it is specific to the Ascom driver you are using.

Cheers, Robin
GaryS

Post by GaryS »

Robin
I was using the simulator mount when this happened. Today I tried again and the crashes did not happen and I actually got to see the Setup screen. Just the same I’d like to stay away from needing to press the Setup button. Is the use of ‘Setup’ needed if I’m observing for real, with an ascom connection to the mount and controlling the mount via SC, Cartes du Ceil or the iOptron Commander Mount software?

I guess I’m also asking if I can use SC plate solve while controlling the mount from another application. I assume I’d still need to be within 15 degrees of the goto target before trying to plate solve.
Thank you for helping...
Gary
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Gary,

Normally you wouldn't need to use the setup button except on the very first time you use the hardware to configure things like serial ports etc, so you should be fine. Most mounts will allow control from more than one application at a time – if they don't then you can use a thing called 'POTH' which is installed with Ascom to allow this to happen anyway, but that requires more configuration. You will still need to be within 15° for the solving to work.

Cheers, Robin
GaryS

Post by GaryS »

Thank you Sir.
I take that to mean that SC can do Plate Solving regardless of how I point the mount...makes sense.
Best,
Gary
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

The plate solving should work wherever the Mounties pointed as long as the place it thinks it's pointing to is roughly the same as the plate that is really pointing to. If you have it pointing at Orion but the Ascom driver thinks it pointing at the pole, then it isn't going to work!

Cheers, Robin
GaryS

Post by GaryS »

I’m sorry Robin, my question was poorly worded. I wasn’t referring to where the mount was pointing when I go to initiate a plate solve, but rather, what software (or even the mount’s hand control)was being used to point it.
Gary
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

In general, yes that should be fine. The thing to check is that the coordinates shown in the SharpCap amount window update when you move the mount using another application or using the hand control – as long as they update in SharpCap as well as in any other application then you should be good. As far as I know this should work for most mounts. Personally I use EQMOD and do GOTOs from a planetarium program called SkyTechX and all works fine.

Cheers, Robin
GaryS

Post by GaryS »

Thanks Robin - sorry for all the back and forth.
Happy and Safe Holidays !
Gary