Sharpcap stopped working

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
JanB

Sharpcap stopped working

Post by JanB »

Hello,
I installed sharpcap (version 3.2.6137.0). When I start it, it immediately reports "Sharpcap has stopped working". My OS is Windows 10.
My camera is ZWO224MC, but even without the camera I get the same error.
I have tried to "repair" and even un-install and re-install, but with no succes.
What shall I do ?
Thank you, Jan
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sharpcap stopped working

Post by admin »

Hi,

Some things you can check are

Is your version of Windows 10 fully up-to-date? If not then run any updates and try again.
Is your antivirus software causing the problem? Temporarily disable it and see if that makes the problem go away
is the .NET framework 4.6.2 installed properly? The SharpCap installer should check for this but it may be worth downloading and rerunning the .NET installer from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=53344

Another thing to try is to hold down control and shift at the same time when launching SharpCap (hold down both keys and double-click on the icon). This turns on some extra messages that tried to track the very early start-up of the SharpCap application to deal with the sort of problem that you are seeing. If you do this you should see messages appearing 'Stage 1', 'Stage 2', etc. please report back which messages you see before SharpCap exits as knowing that will help me track down at what point the problem is happening.

Cheers, Robin
JanB

Post by JanB »

Hi Robin,
I started it with CTRL and SHIFT key pressed. All steps were' complete' or 'true' upto step6 included. Then the banner window appeared and then the window with 'Sharpcap has stopped working'...
I will check the other things that you suggested. Though will do that tomorrow.
Thank you for the very fast response !

Cheers, Jan
JanB

Post by JanB »

Hello Robin,
I did check the proper installation of .NET framework 4.6.2 and it is OK.
I also disabled the windows defender application guard. Both did not help... Still the same startup problem...
My windows 10 version has been recently installed. I will check if there are upgrades to be done.
Kind regards, Jan
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

If you are getting as far as the splash screen showing then it may be worth looking to see if any log files are being created which might have some information. They will be saved in the folder

Code: Select all

C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\SharpCap\logs
The other thing you can try is running SharpCap from the command line with the following extra parameter

Code: Select all

"c:\Program Files (x86)\SharpCap 3.2\SharpCap.exe" /dump
This should create a crash dump file on the desktop called SharpCap.dmp if a fatal error is encountered. However that rather depends on whether the programme is getting far enough to actually enable that piece of functionality.

Cheers, Robin
JanB

Post by JanB »

Good evening Robin,

after reading your latest message I looked at the log folder and found the log files.
I just launched Sharpcap for a try and this time to my big surprise it started up correctly !
I did nothing particular, except that I had previously installed the ASCOM platform, the zwo ASCOM drivers and directshow drivers. That was because I was trying to have metaguide recognize my ZWO camera, which it did after those installation. Maybe that also fixed the problem for Sharpcap ?
If you want to investigate and understand , I can send you the log files before and after.
Any way, I am happy it runs and will be trying it out and likely purchase a licence for the pro version.
Thanks for all the help ! Greatly appreciated!
Cheers, Jan
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

If you have any logs from before when it was crashing on start-up then please send them to me as I'd be interested to see if I can work out what was going on. I've just tried the latest version on a brand-new clean install of Windows 10 and I don't see any problem with starting the program, but who knows…

Cheers, Robin
JanB

Post by JanB »

Hi Robin,
attached are 2 log files. One is the last whenSC did not start up and the other when it did.
Cheers, Jan
Attachments
Log_2019-12-12T21_26_14-9872.log
(24.86 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
Log_2019-12-11T20_51_23-176.log
(7.87 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Thanks for digging those out and sending them. Although they don't tell me exactly what the problem was, they give me some ideas of where it may have been and I can put in extra logging in future versions so that if somebody else has the same problem I may be able to do better next time.

Cheers, Robin