Double click problem on directions button.

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
DavidHins

Double click problem on directions button.

Post by DavidHins »

Hi Robin,
A little issue is annoying me with the scope controls direction button. They work perfect if I click on them, the telescope move and stop as soon as I release the direction button but there is a little problem if I do a fast double click on a button, the telescope will keep on moving until I click again on any of the directions buttons and that can be annoying or even scary sometime. Is there a way in sharpcap to cancel the double clicking so that as soon as I let got a button it will stop the motion without any possibility of a motion continuing after that in case of an accidental double click? I have windows 10 64 bits, the latest sharpcap 3.2 and the latest ioptron commander for my CEM40 ver. 5.74. Thanks for Sharpcap, it is the software (and by far) that I love the most for capturing fantastic astrophotos.
David.
Last edited by DavidHins on Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Double click problem on directions button.

Post by admin »

Hi David,

I just tested this and I can't make it happen on my computer. Are you by any chance using some sort of remote control application to take control of the PC running SharpCap from either another PC or a tablet or phone? I have seen some people have problems with those buttons when using a remote control application – often the problems of gone away when switching to a different remote control program.

Cheers, Robin
DavidHins

Post by DavidHins »

Hi Robien,
Thanks for the quick reply to my post. Since my windows 10 installation is freshly done on my main computer I said to myself that it may be the cause of this problem so I plugged my Ioptron CEM 40 mount on my laptop also running win10, but an old installation. I downloaded the latest sharpcap 3.2, downloaded the latest Ioptron commander from there website and tried it on my laptop and the same problem is appenning. If I click and keep pressing the mouse button it move and as soon as I release the button it stop as it should be, but if I quickly press twice on any of the direction arrow the mount will start to move and won't stop until I single click again on any direction button, then it will stop. Maybe someone else on the forum with an Ioptron mount could test that behaviour? I forgot to say that I am not using any remote apps, my mount is connected straight to the computer with a USB cable.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Another way to test if it's iOptron related would be to configure your system to use the 'Telescope simulator for .NET' mount that is installed as part of Ascom (at least I'm fairly sure it's installed as part of the standard Ascom setup). This piece of software just pretends to be a telescope mount and shows the coordinates it's pointing at. If it works fine for you with that then we can be pretty confident that somehow the iOptron driver is causing the problem. If you can break it with the simulator then we can exonerate iOptron.

Cheers, Robin
DavidHins

Post by DavidHins »

Hi Robin,

I have just tried with the telescope simulator and it is working as it should be. (thanks for the tip) I am now pretty sure that it is a problem with the Ioptron commander 5.74 because as soon as I select it as my mount in sharpcap it is doing the problem and if I go back to the telescope simulator everything works great. Now what is the next step to fix the problem?

Many many thanks for the quick replies to my post Robin, great customer service :-)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi David,

The latest iOptron software caused other problems where SharpCap was crashing when connecting and that turned out to be due to the software allowing the UI to continue responding while the connect operation was in progress. This problem was introduced in a recent version of the iOptron software. In the end I managed to track down what was causing it and work around it in SharpCap, but it was a significant challenge without having the hardware to test with. I'm also not keen on working around other people's newly introduced software bugs if I can avoid doing so!

The simplest thing for you would probably be to roll back to the previous version of the iOptron software and see if that makes the problem go away. If it does then it would be a good idea to raise the issue with iOptron - you tend to get a better response from software companies if you can say it used to work with old version 5.XX but now it is broken in 5.YY - firstly it narrows down the scope of where they need to look to find the changes that cause the problem and secondly they tend to be more sensitive to this sort of regression than to other sorts of bugs.

Cheers, Robin
DavidHins

Post by DavidHins »

Hi Robin,

I rolled back to 5.73 but the problem is still present. I don't know if when we uninstall Iprotron commander app it remove everything or if it leave something behind and that would explain why the problem is still there. I wish someone else with the same setup as me could test this. Anyway a big thank for your help Robin and for the moment I will learn how to live with this because I don't think that Ioptron would be in a hurry to fix a problem like this one. And yes 5.74 did crash my sharpcap until you fixed it. I think that they did modify a lot of things in the code of version 5.74...
Cheers, David