64 bit SC Crashes

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
admin
Site Admin

Re: 64 bit SC Crashes

Post by admin »

Ah, interesting. I think I still have a motherboard with an i7 870 CPU in it - unfortunately not in a case with PSU at the moment, but if I can get it up and running then I can try testing on that machine.

thanks for the report,

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, the good news is that I can now make this bug happen - I had to resurrect my old PC motherboard CPU that had been on the point of being thrown out. Unfortunately I did not have a spare case to fit it, but a little open heart surgery on another PC got it up and running...
IMG_20200325_204739.jpg
IMG_20200325_204739.jpg (238.01 KiB) Viewed 882 times
For some reason the OpenCV libraries I am using decide they can run AVX instructions on this CPU in 64 bit mode when it doesn't support the AVX instruction set. Odd that it is fine in 32 bit mode.

More digging required...

cheers, Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I can now confirm that the problem occurs on CPUs that do not support the AVX instruction set with the 64 bit version of SharpCap. This is related to an OpenCV bug :

https://github.com/opencv/opencv/issues/15690

This bug is a problem in the version of openCV that SharpCap currently uses (3.4.0) and also in 3.4.8. Apparently it may be fixed in version 4.0, but I'm reluctant to upgrade to that before SharpCap 3.3. There is also some suggestion that it may be broken again in the very latest open CV :-(

I don't want to disable AVX instructions as that would likely slow down things like live stacking on more modern CPUs. I think I'm going to have to leave this as an unresolved issue until I get a chance to update to a much newer open CV in SharpCap 3.3.

Cheers, Robin