Issues with QHY 247 c

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
stobiewankenobi

Issues with QHY 247 c

Post by stobiewankenobi »

Hello, love the software, used it quite religiously with my ZWO ASI 071. However after purchasing a new QHY 247c, I am having a terrible time of it.

The QHY .dll files are all updated
I am using the latest version of sharpcap 3.2 as of the time of this posting

I am having issues where when doing an exposure the QHY camera never returns any data, the exposure timer just overruns and goes on forever without stopping. I have submitted a few bug reports when sharpcap then crashes.

Additionally very recently I am getting the issue in the image https://imgur.com/a/2rjAQls here in Sharpcap but not in EZCAP_QT. The issue shown in the image happens randomly, and sometimes goes away to a normal black sky.

Please advise..
admin
Site Admin

Re: Issues with QHY 247 c

Post by admin »

Hi,

I've just had a look through the bug reports for the last few versions that are related to QHY cameras and unfortunately I can't spot any listing your model of camera. If you could post a screenshot showing the crash report window before you press the submit button then it would help me track down the reports in my database.

I do see two common crash reports from the qhy cameras, one looks to be related to not receiving correct communication from an attached filter wheel which I can hopefully work around in the next update. The other always seems to show up as an error trying to set one or other of the cameras controls and the log always seems to show entries just before that which might indicate that there has been a communication problem with the camera (the log shows that SharpCap has received notification from Windows that devices have been added or removed from the computer). I can stop this from crashing SharpCap, but I suspect that the real problem is that the camera has lost communication.

Finally, there is yet another version of the qhy SDK that became available a few days ago (6.0.4). I seem to have mislaid the list of changes in that version, but every minor update now seems to be fixing a few more bugs. Once again, this new update will make it into the next update of SharpCap.

I'm not sure about the image artefact that you are seeing – it does look a bit like the sort of amp glow pattern you might expect to see on some CMOS sensors but you would normally expect to see that on every frame. I have seen some odd effects on some models of camera if you change the settings part of the way through a frame that can sometimes look a little bit like this.

Cheers, Robin
stobiewankenobi

Post by stobiewankenobi »

I see.

I'm using a manual filter wheel, so it's not that. They must not be sending when I click "quit and send".

I will take a screenshot of the dump next time it occurs. Also if you can point me to any log directories I can grok and send your way I will do so as well. The biggest issue I'm seeing with the 247c is when I set a sub to 60s, it will overrun it and go on forever (never receiving a response from the qhy apis)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Two things I can suggest.

One is to download the very latest version (updated today) that has an updated qhy SDK and it and the two tweaks that I put in to try to reduce the probability of random crashes with the qhy cameras.

The second is that if the crash still happens then there is a drop down to the right of the submit report button which let you choose to do things like save the report locally or email it to me, which might help if some reason the auto submitted reports aren't getting through.

Hope this helps, Robin