AVI file is too short

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
RonaldNC

AVI file is too short

Post by RonaldNC »

Since I've updated to the new release, my capture file (AVI) is shorter than I requested. The completed message matches the duration requested, but when I view the file it is shorter. I even tested it using the test camera, requesting a 1.5 minute capture... but it only created a 1 minute video.

Any ideas on what could be the problem?

Thank you,

Ron
admin
Site Admin

Re: AVI file is too short

Post by admin »

Hi,

SharpCap doesn't really try to set up the correct playback rate when capturing to AVI files as this is typically only useful over a limited range of exposure times. If you happen to make a video where the individual frames are 2or even 5seconds or more long, it would be rather boring to watch it playing back at that rate. What you should be really checking for is are you getting the correct number of frames in the saved video files.

Cheers, Robin
RonaldNC

Post by RonaldNC »

Okay... so even though SharpCap says it created a 1.5 minute video, it really didn't? I had some that were set for 1.5 minutes and it only created an AVI for a few seconds. It's weird because I never had this problem until this session.

SO... should I just set the number of frames that I want and forget about using the duration parameter?

Thanks,

Ron
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Ron

Have you considered capturing in SER format?

Dave
RonaldNC

Post by RonaldNC »

No, I haven't. What is the advantage to SER? Will AS3 process SER?

Thanks,

Ron
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Ron
What is the advantage to SER?
See my post in this thread viewtopic.php?t=1064 especially the Cloudy Nights link.
Will AS3 process SER?
Yes. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2019. A 10,000 frame capture with file size 4.5Gb - wouldn't fancy that with an AVI. I have captured up to 30,000 frame SER files of size 16Gb without issue.

Dave