SharpCap Crashes with Latest iOptron Commander

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
admin
Site Admin

Re: SharpCap Crashes with Latest iOptron Commander

Post by admin »

Hi,

Part of the problem was that SharpCap's application window was still active while the connection to the mount was in progress – that meant that you could then tell SharpCap to do something else which might in turn try to make another connection to the mount while the first one was still being attempted and so on. I think that's what's caused the multiple crash report windows and has overall left the application in a pretty unstable state.

Part of the fixes to ensure that the application window is fully disabled while the connection is taking place to prevent this sort of problem from recurring.

Cheers, Robin
MorzineIT

Post by MorzineIT »

Hi Robin,

I've done some further testing to try to gather more info.
This is testing without the mount turned on. I'll do a second set of tests with the mount on a little later.
The logging seems to fail, due to the bug, so I've opened the log viewer and screen captured it (as it won't even copy to clipboard)
The problem seems to start when I try to connect to the mount, It seems to get itself into a loop:
Verbose: 15:32:33.2517240 Thread:#1 SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM.MountWrapper.EnsureConnected :: Starting EnsureConnected()
Verbose: 15:32:33.2688331 Thread:#1 SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM.MountWrapper.get_Parked :: Starting get_Parked()
Verbose: 15:32:34.2390652 Thread:#1 SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM.MountWrapper.get_Parked :: Starting get_Parked()
Verbose: 15:32:35.2404339 Thread:#1 SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM.MountWrapper.get_Parked :: Starting get_Parked()

attached are the screen shots of the log file:

and also a file containing the logs before the crash:
Attachments
errors.log
(163.24 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
error2.png
error2.png (434.69 KiB) Viewed 2499 times
error1.png
error1.png (491.37 KiB) Viewed 2499 times
MorzineIT

Post by MorzineIT »

And here is the test result when the camera is connected.
Scenario: Connect camera, connect iOptron Commander, Change camera resolution. Crash

Screen shot during the crash
and also Log from just before:
Attachments
ErrorWithMountConnected.log
(130.97 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
errorMountConnected.jpg
errorMountConnected.jpg (684.35 KiB) Viewed 2499 times
donboy

Post by donboy »

Same issue here with the latest iOptron Commander when I try and open Plate Solve. Reinstalled the previous version of the iOptron Commander.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

It may be worth giving the very latest version a try – I have just uploaded the version that contained my changes which should at least prevent the issues that were being seen when changing resolution or connecting for the first time. In this latest version you will notice that the SharpCap UI becomes completely disabled from the moment that you try to connect to the mount until the connection has either succeeded or failed. This prevents other changes from being made while the first connection is still in progress – in particular trying to change the resolution while the first connection was still not completed would then lead to a second simultaneous attempt to connect at which point everything would go wrong.

Cheers, Robin
donboy

Post by donboy »

Installed the latest iOptron Ascom Driver and SC 3.2.6121 and as soon as I try Plate Solve it crashes. Reinstalled previous version of iOptron Ascom and all is well.

Don
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Don,

I'm not seeing any crash reports with the latest version that look like they relate to trying plate solving with the iOptron driver, but I have seen a couple of the same sort of bug report mentioned above.

I think the problem is that they have somehow allowed the user to interact with SharpCap while SharpCap is actually requesting the Ascom driver to do something. This means that SharpCap can already be trying to connect and waiting for that connection to complete but while that is happening the Ascom driver displays a window and if the user clicks back to SharpCap they can then try to do other things while the connection is still not completed. I have tried to lock this out for connection by disabling the whole of the SharpCap window while the connection attempt is in progress, but I'm still seeing similar symptoms which I suspect are coming from other requests to the driver.

If anyone wishes to continue testing and submitting bug reports then please do (with additional logging turned on) but it is looking increasingly gloomy – I'm not at all sure I can see how to make things run stably again with this latest version of the Ascom driver :-(

Cheers, Robin
SkyThrall

Post by SkyThrall »

Robin,

This weekend I had to rebuild my SSD drive and did a clean install all my s/w including the latest; ASCOM environment (6.4.SP1), iOptron ASCOM Driver (5.74) and SC 3.2.6121 and ZWO camera drivers etc.

When I activate the iOptron driver in SC the program immediately pops up an exception window, and when the report is sent the SC program closes.

I note donboy reports he installed the previous version of the iOptron driver with success, but does not specify the version. It is IOptron v5.73 or a different version?

Robin, if you want to do a remote desktop to my PC I can arrange my schedule to accomplish this. It would be great to get this solved.

Thanks,
Norm
SkyThrall

Post by SkyThrall »

Guys,

I de-installed the iOptron ASCOM Driver v5.74 driver and replaced with v5.73 (a 32-driver compatible with ASCOM v6.4) and it worked with SC v3.2.6121. This should be good enough for me.

One can download the iOptron driver here: http://www.ioptron.com/v/ASCOM/iOptron_ ... er5731.exe

Regards.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Good to hear that you have a workaround for this.

Cheers, Robin