Problems with PoleMaster

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
cytan299

Problems with PoleMaster

Post by cytan299 »

Hi,
I am running Sharpcap 3.2.6062.0 and Win 10.0.18362 and connecting to PoleMaster. For whatever reason, I am only seeing a white screen and not stars from PoleMaster. Sharpcap used to work but for some reason not now. PoleMaster works fine with its own Polemaster software. Please see attached file that show a picture of what I mean.

Is there a setting that I forget or unset in Sharpcap? Or is there a bug?

Thanks!

cytan
Attachments
track.jpg
track.jpg (359.54 KiB) Viewed 4737 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Problems with PoleMaster

Post by admin »

Hi,

Is there a brightness/black level/offset control in the image control section (can't quite see in your screenshot as it would just be off the bottom of the screen). If there is and it's not set to minimum then try turning that down. I've seen some cases with qhy cameras where turning this up and selecting a high gain tends to give the sort of whiteout image that you are seeing.

Cheers, Robin
cytan299

Post by cytan299 »

Hi,
There's no extra image control that I see. See attached pic.

I think I've found the problem: there is a Sharpcap regression. I went back to 3.2.6020.0 and PoleMaster displays correctly. Going to 3.2.6062.0, PoleMaster displays incorrectly.

However here are other experiments that I did:
Notation:
  • Old Sharpcap: 3.2.6020.0
  • New Sharpcap: 3.2.6062.0
  • Reset: Disconnect PoleMaster USB cable and then reconnecting USB cable
Experiment 1:
1. Reset
2. Connect with new Sharpcap fails to get data from PoleMaster and thus see white screen.

Experiment 2:
1. Reset
2. Connect with old Sharpcap gets data and displays correctly.

Experiment 3 (new Sharpcap may have an initialization problem?)
1. Reset
2. Connect with old Sharpcap and it works with PoleMaster. Now switch to new Sharpcap. Display still works.
3. Reset
4. Connect with new Sharpcap fails to display again.

Experiment 4:
1. Reset
2. PoleMaster software connects and displays correctly. Exit PoleMaster
3. Connect with new Sharpcap. White screen again.

Anything else do I need to do to check that it is indeed a regression?

cytan
Attachments
track1.jpg
track1.jpg (88.42 KiB) Viewed 4727 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Thanks for continuing to investigate this. I think the most likely cause would be that the qhy SDK was updated a couple of times between those two versions and I imagine that one of the update has brought in the bug that you are seeing.

Here's a way that you can confirm that and potentially work around the issue too. First install the version that works and go to the installation folder and take a copy of the file called qhyccd.dll. Put a copy of this file somewhere safe in your desktop or in another folder. Then upgrade to the latest version of SharpCap and once the upgrade is complete copy the version of qhyccd.dll that you took into the SharpCap install folder. Then give everything a try and see if it works as expected. Effectively what you've done then is to take the very latest version of the SharpCap code but to put the qhy SDK back to the version from build 6020. If it works then you can leave it that way if you want, but do let me or qhy know that there is this new problem.

Cheers, Robin
cytan299

Post by cytan299 »

Yes, the problem is with qhyccd.dll. I copied the old version (3.2.6020) over the new version (3.2.6062) and Sharpcap 3.2.6062 now works with Polemaster.

I’d prefer that you report this bug to qhy because you have more details of the sdk than I do.

Thanks!

cytan
mwg3656

Post by mwg3656 »

I had exactly the same problem with a new Polemaster just purchased 7/31/19. I solved it by changing from SharpCap 3.2.6062 back to 3.2.5986, but I was able to use the latest version (150915) of the QHY drivers.

Of special note; I would get pop-up message regarding "Adjusting USB traffic control" when selecting the Polemaster camera with 3.2.6062, which did not occur with 3.2.5986.
cytan299

Post by cytan299 »

mwg3656 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:56 pm I had exactly the same problem with a new Polemaster just purchased 7/31/19. I solved it by changing from SharpCap 3.2.6062 back to 3.2.5986, but I was able to use the latest version (150915) of the QHY drivers.

Of special note; I would get pop-up message regarding "Adjusting USB traffic control" when selecting the Polemaster camera with 3.2.6062, which did not occur with 3.2.5986.
I think your observation points to an initialization difference between 3.2.5986 and 3.2.6062 as well as a change in qhyccd.dll initialization. Anyway, since we don't have access to the source code, it'll be up to the developer to track this down.

cytan
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Thanks for checking out the different version of the SDK. I have passed a report onto the developer at qhy who updates the SDK and hopefully they will be able to get a fix into a new version sometime soon.

Cheers, Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Please could someone test what happens when you turn down the gain value with the latest SDK? Qhy have suggested that perhaps a high gain value may be the issue causing the whiteout of the image, and I'd like to get back to them with hard data as to whether that does help or not.

Cheers, Robin
cytan299

Post by cytan299 »

admin wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:52 pm Hi,

Please could someone test what happens when you turn down the gain value with the latest SDK? Qhy have suggested that perhaps a high gain value may be the issue causing the whiteout of the image, and I'd like to get back to them with hard data as to whether that does help or not.

Cheers, Robin
Here's the screenshot with gain set to the minimum value of 1 and the screen is white.

Experiment 1:
Reset
Gain value about 60. White screen.
Gain value turned down to 1. Still white screen.
Attachments
track.jpg
track.jpg (404.65 KiB) Viewed 4638 times