SC doesn't work with Gemini Telescope.NET ASCOM driver

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
admin
Site Admin

Re: SC doesn't work with Gemini Telescope.NET ASCOM driver

Post by admin »

Well progress of a sort I suppose - can you post the log when you get a chance please (no hurry). I have an idea that it might be because of rounding of the rates - the mount says it can do 0.012475 degrees per second and SharpCap rounds that to 0.0125 to display it and then requests 0.0125 and the mount says no - I will look into it.

cheers,

Robin
calan

Post by calan »

I've been in cloud and wind hell for 3 weeks straight, and looks like another week of it on the way... but I'll grab a log ASAP.
GregL

Post by GregL »

Robin,

I am getting the same error when I try to control my Gemini-2/GM-8 using Sharpcap 3.2 and current Ascom 6.4sp1. Windows 10x64, current Gemini.net.
Same error as reported by Calum. MoveAxis set 'axisPrimary' is an invalid value. The valid range is guiding, centering or slewing speeds.

I have been trying to centre M1 in my FOV -- using the PC HBX.

greg latiak

I don't know if it helps, but the Gemini ascom folks say they implement the standards compliant ascom telescope 3 interface and pointed me at the documentation for same. I position the scope with two other programs routinely and have no issues. Anything I can collect to help?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Greg,

Well it looks like I never got a log file from the previous users who had this problem, so if you can capture a SharpCap log file after the error has occurred and send it to me though be a first step in perhaps working out what's going on.

Cheers, Robin
GregL

Post by GregL »

Funny you should mention that... I collected all the logs from Sharpcap and ascom this afternoon and ran an ascom diagnosis for comic relief.
Attached is the sharpcap log.

greg
Attachments
Log_2019-01-16T19_26_16-10908.log
Sharpcap log
(87.08 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the log, I think I can see what is going wrong. The Mount allows for 3 separate slewing speeds as can be seen in this log line

Code: Select all

Info:	20:35:17.7940160 Thread:#1 SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM.MountWrapper.GetSlewRatesViaIndexing(Int32 axis) :: Slew rates are : 802.190327479879-802.190327479879, 20.054758186997-20.054758186997, 0.501368954674924-0.501368954674924
Many mounts actually allow for a range of speeds but this mount says that these are the 3 exact speeds you can use, nothing else. I suspect that what's happening is that SharpCap is converting these speeds to a different unit and a rounding error is meaning that the value that is eventually sent to the driver and asking it to move is not quite the same as the one that the driver is expecting. I should be able to fix this one I think.

Cheers, Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Greg,

Please can you try this version – https://d.sharpcap.co.uk/download.html? ... 3.2.5921.0

What was happening was that the mount rate from Ascom was being converted from degrees per second into multiples of the sidereal rate and then back again and I think rounding errors in that were causing the problem. I've now made it so that SharpCap will check the rate it's about centre the Mount and move it to the nearest compatible rate if it turns out that the rate being sent isn't quite right.

Cheers, Robin
GregL

Post by GregL »

Thanks, Robin.

I will install it and give it the smoke test tomorrow... we are in the early stages of a major snowstorm here. But I can install it remotely... If it doesn't blow up when I try to move the mount we are probably good. Based on the weather its probably a week or two before I can try it for real.

greg
GregL

Post by GregL »

Quick turnaround. Installed the updated version, brought everything up, connected and tried to move. Same error... sorry. However... it does park correctly. Logfile attached.

greg
Attachments
Log_2019-01-18T19_11_28-9264.log
Short at least.
(72.05 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Greg,

Let's have another go – try this version https://d.sharpcap.co.uk/download.html? ... 3.2.5922.0

I hadn't properly separated the 2 different units I was using for the movement rate (degrees per second and multiples of sidereal) in the previous version. I think I got it right this time round, but if it still doesn't work please turn on verbose logging in the general settings page and then post the log that should have extra information in if the verbose option is turned on.

Cheers, Robin