Sharpcap hangs if ASCOM mount disconnected

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
nicklin

Sharpcap hangs if ASCOM mount disconnected

Post by nicklin »

This relates to 3.2.9586 on Win10, and may be more a design issue than a bug per-se, but having finally got around to using the polar alignment feature (which is awesome) and also adding my mount connection via ASCOM to slew after a plate solve, I found that Sharpcap hangs if the mount is disconnected. It does update the UI periodically, after so call has timed out I imagine, but it's essentially stuck and has to be killed unless the mount is reconnected. If the ASCOM driving is handled in a separate thread it would suggest a fault somewhere, and if it isn't in its own thread then doing so would be advantageous and avoid this unless the ASCOM driver isn't thread safe.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sharpcap hangs if ASCOM mount disconnected

Post by admin »

Hi,

Could you post your SharpCap log file captured to show the problem? I suspect the problem is that the Ascom driver is itself taking a long time to time out communicating with the mount. SharpCap periodically asks the Ascom driver for the RA and DEC coordinates and this is probably the requests that are taking a long time to time out and then repeated almost immediately.

The refresh of the mount positions runs deliberately in the UI thread because some Ascom drivers don't work properly if called from other threads (sadly this isn't something that specified well in the Ascom documentation).

Cheers, Robin