Saving raw frames

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
calan

Saving raw frames

Post by calan »

Not sure if this is by design or not, but I consider it a bug. :)

When saving individual frames while stacking, all frames are being saved rather than only the ones being stacked. The frames being saved should follow the same criteria (FWHM and brightness) as the live stack. This allows bad frames to be culled out before ever being saved to disk.

If you want to maintain flexibility, you could add a checkbox to the settings: "Apply filters to saved raw frames"
admin
Site Admin

Re: Saving raw frames

Post by admin »

Right now it's by design - two reasons...

1) by the time SharpCap has made the decision about whether to stack the frame, the frame is no longer in its raw format any more (for instance if it is a Bayer RAW frame it will have been debayered, darks and flats will have been applied, etc). That makes it a lot simpler to just save them all before any processing is done. Of course I could just hold onto the unmodified copy, but then that means using more memory which can already be an issue with people using 20Mp+ cameras.

2) If you are going to re-process afterwards then I'd say to feed the processing app all the data - it will likely use more sophisticated (but slower) measurements of FWHM than SharpCap and might make different decisions. Or you might just decide to pull in a bit more data as reducing the noise is more important to you than picking only the sharpest frames.

cheers,

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hah!

While digging up a tree stump in the garden this morning I realised that this is actually easy to do without using extra memory - write all the frames to disk and then delete the ones that are rejected for stacking! Will put it on the feature list.

cheers,

Robin
Ukjay1971

Post by Ukjay1971 »

Are the individual frames totally raw - i.e. With no flats or darks applied?

Jay
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

From live stacking 'save raw frames' yes. If you capture in other ways then darks/flats are applied before saving.

cheers,

Robin