Plate Solve Sync'ing but Not Re-Centring G11GT Mount Gemini II

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
calaban

Re: Plate Solve Sync'ing but Not Re-Centring G11GT Mount Gemini II

Post by calaban »

Hi Robin

I continue to try with SharpCap platesolving, re-centering and Gemini 2 ASCOM.
On the whole it all seems to work except for one issue. When it re-centres only one axis "re-centres". The other axis does not make its correction.

Can this be true?

Regards Richard
Attachments
Log_2019-11-24T21_20_25-13216.log
(33.46 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
Log_2019-11-24T21_39_42-8576.log
(168.39 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Log_2019-11-24T21_25_21-12872.log
(90.48 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

When I would have said that it wasn't possible for that the happen, but I can see from your logs that the mount only seems to be moving in the declination direction when it is asked to re-goto the original target.

Code: Select all

Info:	21:32:21.9951092 Thread:#1 SharpCap.ViewModels.PlateSolveAndResync+<SolveAndSync>d__7.MoveNext() :: Field solved to RA=05:14:07,Dec=08:42:14S, field Size {Width=1.224467, Height=0.8153667}
Info:	21:32:22.2001124 Thread:#1 SharpCap.ViewModels.PlateSolveAndResync+<SolveAndSync>d__7.MoveNext() :: Before Sync mount is at RA=05:15:30,Dec=08:10:48S
Info:	21:32:22.2691080 Thread:#1 SharpCap.ViewModels.PlateSolveAndResync+<SolveAndSync>d__7.MoveNext() :: After Sync mount is at RA=05:14:07,Dec=08:42:14S
Info:	21:32:22.3201057 Thread:#1 SharpCap.ViewModels.PlateSolveAndResync+<SolveAndSync>d__7.MoveNext() :: Before Slew mount is at RA=05:14:07,Dec=08:42:14S
Info:	21:32:22.9141055 Thread:#1 SharpCap.ViewModels.PlateSolveAndResync+<SolveAndSync>d__7.MoveNext() :: After Slew mount is at RA=05:14:07,Dec=08:10:48S
I just checked to make sure I hadn't got a silly error in the code where I was using the wrong RA coordinate for the re-goto operation, but that all appears to be fine and I'm sure I would have heard from a lot of other people that the plates solving didn't work if I'd made that mistake!

I can only think that there must be something in the mount's Ascom driver that is somehow causing it to fail to respond to the RA motion required. It is quite a small movement compared to the declination adjustment – I wonder if that has any effect perhaps? It may be worth checking to see if there's any configuration for the Ascom driver that might be limiting small go to movements.

Cheers, Robin
calaban

Post by calaban »

Hi Robin
Thanks for prompt reply and yes all a bit strange.
Used APT the next night and its PointCraft 'blind solve' system solved and centred the image very nicely.
I've packed up now and plan to do more backyard testing late Dec. Will let you know more as I know more.
Regards Richard
calaban

Post by calaban »

Hi Robin

Setup last night and tried a plate solve from within SC. The good news is that I did manage to get a successful solve and re-centre of Stellarium and the mount.

I've got lots of little issues that happen - eg Gemini 2 not saving the solved sync, lost SC later, etc etc but main issue is SC platesolve did re-centre. Why compared to last time - I don't know.

I think the correct log attached if you want it.

Regards Richard
Attachments
Log_2019-12-08T19_35_46-6960.log
(182.29 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, I'm glad to hear that is working for you :-). From that log though, it still looks as though the RA axis isn't moving as it should. Maybe SharpCap is asking for the position too soon after sending the move command.

Cheers, Robin
calaban

Post by calaban »

To continue a little, FYI

I'm slowly ironing out issues but really. Now seems that the Gemini 2 Ascom builds two star alignment models. One for the East (Model "1") and one for the West (Model "0"). Go figure.

You would think that it should auto know which side its on but seems I have to tell it.

So if driver is set to 0 (West) and I'm trying to solve and 'sync' in the east - driver / model will not accept the 'sync'. Also Sync and Align are different things. I should only Align. And if software is doing a solve and sync, I have to have "Sync performs Additional Align" checked. And have to remember to uncheck when finished otherwise ………..

There might also be something around 1st alignment sets everything still at 'zero' and its the additional alignment(s) that start adding numbers into the model - have to check this next time I try. Not sure if right or wrong about this.

In the end if done incorrectly, sync'ing / aligning, - avoid actual sync - I feel the guiding is working over different coordinates to the imaging. Guiding says its spot on but imaging has elongated stars. The two drift apart in Stellarium - target point and scope..

Anyway - next time and all just becoming too hard :roll:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Thanks for the update – and I thought EQMOD was complicated! :)

Cheers, Robin