Update 3.2.5986 Problem?

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
smithn00

Update 3.2.5986 Problem?

Post by smithn00 »

I clicked on Help>Check for Updates and found 3.2.5986. I followed the directions and the download seemed to work. I clicked on Install and Relaunch and window went away. Nothing else happened.
Checking for Updates again gave me the same update number needed.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Update 3.2.5986 Problem?

Post by admin »

Hi,

The simplest workaround for this sort of problem (which seems to happen at random occasionally) is to simply download and install the latest version from the normal SharpCap download page.

Cheers, Robin
smithn00

Post by smithn00 »

Got it. Thanks.
Starmapper

Post by Starmapper »

I had the same issue today (with the Nov 2019 version), spending lots of time trying to get a new camera to work. I did the "Check for updates", which reported none, so I spent another two hours exploring options. Then I manually checked - and found updates on the web. I guess the lesson is - don't trust the "check for updates" option?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

The way I work the auto updates is that they are always behind the manual updates – a new version for manual download might come out every 1 to 2 weeks, but I will only change the auto update version every month to 6 weeks and even then I will change it to a version that is not the latest. The reasoning behind this is that I want to make sure that the versions that go out via auto update have had enough usage to show up any unexpected bugs - I really don't want to put the very latest version on the auto update and then find out after thousands of people of updated that it has a serious problem.

I will however try to make some sort of change to the message when there are no auto updates to suggest checking for manual downloads.

Cheers, Robin