Use only flat correction: impossible??

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
ippiu

Use only flat correction: impossible??

Post by ippiu »

While i was experimenting out the effectiveness of dark and flat, i found that using only flat frame caused an error.
If i want to apply just flat frame correction (and not dark frame correction), it isn't possible.
I show you my 3 final stacked image examples

Dark, no flat. Yes
dark_noflat.jpg
dark_noflat.jpg (317.86 KiB) Viewed 1789 times
Dark, flat. Yes
dark_flat.jpg
dark_flat.jpg (373.4 KiB) Viewed 1789 times
No dark, flat. No
nodark_flat.jpg
nodark_flat.jpg (87.14 KiB) Viewed 1789 times
A screenshot of live stacking session
https://drive.google.com/open?id=14k1p0 ... vdvYKFBrX-

So, why isn't possible to use just flat frame correction (without dark frame too)?
IOptron Cem40 + Apo 115 f7 + Asi533 Pro + Asiair Pro + Optolong L-eNhance + L-Pro 2"
admin
Site Admin

Re: Use only flat correction: impossible??

Post by admin »

Hi,

Flat correction without a dark frame is really limited to solar/lunar/planetary imaging where you are removing the effects of any dust on the sensor and you are not applying a strong image stretch.

If you tried to image with just the flat frame when applying a strong nonlinear stretch for deep sky imaging, you tend to get sort of results you have seen since you are not correcting for the black point offset in the image frame which means that the flat correction tends to make rather a mess of the background.

If your exposures aren't too long then using the subtract bias option in the capture flat dialogue will help as it will ensure that the black point offset is corrected for, but it's still not as good as subtracting a proper dark frame which will also remove the majority of the effect of any thermal noise, hot pixels, et cetera.

Cheers, Robin
ippiu

Post by ippiu »

Thanks for exhaustive explanation.

So is that sharpcap effect normal if i use only flat correction? I didn't do any sort of stretching histogram, just use flat correction, as you can see in the live stacking screenshot here
nodark_flat_screenshot.jpg
nodark_flat_screenshot.jpg (101.84 KiB) Viewed 1767 times
So from your explanation, it isn't useful to use just flat frame correction and if i try to use just flat without dark, sharpcap behaves like you can see in the above screenshot: have i understood correctly?

So would the answer to my topic title "Use only flat correction: impossible??" be yes?? (for deep sky imaging)
IOptron Cem40 + Apo 115 f7 + Asi533 Pro + Asiair Pro + Optolong L-eNhance + L-Pro 2"
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

You certainly have a bit of a stretch set up in the life stacking histogram which is visible in your screenshot. Basically flats only work correctly if the image has no offset (dark pixels have a value of zero) or if corrections can be applied to allow the calculations to be performed as if the dark pixels had a value of zero.

Applying flats to solar/lunar/planetary is a bit of a special case because the brightness of the image tends to be close to the brightness of the flat frame and errors due to black level offset tend to cancel out enough not to be noticeable.

So the answer is that applying only flat frame correction without dark subtraction is inadvisable for deep sky imaging except under very special circumstances.

Cheers, Robin
ippiu

Post by ippiu »

Thanks robin.

Tonight flats correction applied correctly without dark, so is possible to use just flats without darks.
Basically it isn't correct as you explained, but tonight sharpczp accepted only flats correction without dark. No strange behaviour like in my image posted above.
But tonight i use darks as usual and flats weren't so useful as other nights even if i took them in the same way as i usually do (darks are the same because i have a library): tonight flats didn't correct perfectly the final stacked image.... i can't explain why...

Here 2 examples
m87_markarian's chain_22X660s=660s_gain300.jpg
m87_markarian's chain_22X660s=660s_gain300.jpg (142.11 KiB) Viewed 1740 times
Anonimo.jpg
Anonimo.jpg (159 KiB) Viewed 1740 times