Dark Frame and Flip

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
donstim

Re: Dark Frame and Flip

Post by donstim »

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer for the orientation to be set as if I was able to see the object without any optical enhancement; the exception being if it's shape is such that turning it 90 degrees would fit better within the rectangular frame of my camera's view. The flip setting allows me to do this regardless of whether or not I am using my SCT, or some straight through optical device, and for whatever orientation of the camera works best when attached to the different potential optical trains.

I can understand the desire to simplify for the purpose of applying dark and flat frames, but I don't understand why it is felt that the flip setting is only useful for the onscreen view. I would think the onscreen view would be helpful at least for framing the final image, and you can be left with false impressions if the two images use different orientations. Also, what would the save image exactly as seen option do for saving a livestack?

I don't suppose there is any way to apply the calibrations before the image is flipped?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Dark Frame and Flip

Post by admin »

Hi,

sadly in the case of cameras that have the 'flip' functionality, the flip is applied by the camera software before the frame data gets to SharpCap. If I get a chance to make SharpCap take care of flip itself (which would then add that functionality to all cameras), it would be a good opportunity to fix up the dark/flat issue at the same time.

cheers,

Robin