SharpCap 3.2 crashes on startup

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
SteveJP

SharpCap 3.2 crashes on startup

Post by SteveJP »

Hi
Wondering if anyone else has seen this. On my Win 7 64 bit PC, SharpCap 3.2.5879 crashes immediately after the splash screen display with a message "SharpCap has stopped working"
Works fine with SharpCap 3.1 and the same SharpCap 3.2 work well on my Win 10 Notebook.
PS Tried to attach SharpCap.dmp file, but attach mechanism won't attach this type of file.
Thanks
Steve
admin
Site Admin

Re: SharpCap 3.2 crashes on startup

Post by admin »

Hi Steve,

I will send you a PM with an email address that you can send the dump file to.

Cheers, Robin
SteveJP

Post by SteveJP »

Hi Robin,
I upgraded to version 3.2.5936.0, but the problem is still there. However, when I install the new 64 bit version 3.2.5936.0-64bit, the problem disappears, so that seems to be the fix for me. I'm not using any of the cameras that are not implemented in the 64 bit version.
Odd that no one else has reported this problem however.
Thanks
Steve
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Steve,

Good to hear that you found a workaround for the crash on start-up issue.

When you sent me the dump file it looked like there was a problem due to some third-party software blocking network communications that SharpCap was trying to make to detect network connected point grey cameras. The attempt at blocking seem to be bringing down the process rather than just stopping the network connection from succeeding. Sometimes this sort of thing can arise from a combination of more than one source, making it rare to occur and very difficult to debug.

Cheers, Robin