Filter wheel focus offset

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
nexusjeep

Filter wheel focus offset

Post by nexusjeep »

Hi,
Not sure if this is a bug or a not supported feature, or more likely I am just doing something wrong. Within the setting for my ZWO EFW 8 position wheel I have assigned the names for each of my filters L R G B HA OIII SII LP and have also assigned the focus offset to each one relative to position one. Sharpcap is displaying the filter name in the relevant buttons when I connect the wheel to the software but dos not appear to use the offset value as the focuser position remains unchanged.

Regards
Nick
admin
Site Admin

Re: Filter wheel focus offset

Post by admin »

Hi Nick,

that's a feature that doesn't exist yet. I have a plan to make that sort of thing available as part of the sequencer that will be in the next major version of SharpCap.

Cheers, Robin
nexusjeep

Post by nexusjeep »

Cheers Robin,
Will look forward to the next major release whenever that is.

Thanks
Nick
OAG_UUZR

Post by OAG_UUZR »

Has the sequencer been released in the latest version?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

currently still work-in-progress, but it works enough that you can try it out : viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3121

Robin
OAG_UUZR

Post by OAG_UUZR »

Thanks for the link,

I have been using the BETA and am reporting back.

Issue found:
QHY CFW3 does not give enough focus offset setting in ASCOM to properly use focuser offsets.
There is no way to manually enter correct filters offsets within Sharpcap (outside of ASCOM entries)

Situation:
- Equipment Starlight Instruments 2" feathertouch SCT focuser
>> ORION color filters
>>QHY CFW3 focus wheel
>>Starlight instruments 2" feathertouch SCT focuser
>>Starlight Instruments EFS focus motor and controller
- Offsets span 100 outward to 1102 outward steps on Electronic focuser control
- ASCOM for CFW3 has maximum of 120 non-negative steps

Proposed solution:
- Entry block in Focus wheel enable on main sharpcap screen or elsewhere such that manual offsets can be used instead of ASCOM values

Other observations:
- All off remaining functionality appears to be working with the BETA I have been using.
- Still stress testing software to see if there are any other issues

Thanks much
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

so if I'm following you correctly, the problem is that you cannot enter a large enough offset into Ascom configuration of your filter wheel to account for the difference in focus position between your filters? Unfortunately the limitations on the focus offset value entry are actually related to the Ascom driver created by QHY for your filter wheel – basically it sounds as though they have decided that the offset can only be adjusted up to a certain value which is not big enough for your use case.

I'd certainly advise you to contact QHY to ask them to increase the range of offset available. In the meantime, you should be able to use a focus offset step in the sequence editor to make these changes manually when the filters are changed.

Cheers, Robin