No controls in camera control panel

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
Nino

No controls in camera control panel

Post by Nino »

My problem is very probably not a bug in Sharpcap but something related to the configuration of my PC and I need help to solve it if someone has already encountered it and (hopefully) solved.
My computer is a Dell XPS 13 (16 GB Ram) with Win10 Home (original from Dell, I have included the PC configuration) running
sharpcap v3.2.5825

the program starts normally, the camera is found (I have a ZWO ASI 178 MC) and Is possible to open it and watch the images but, accessing the camera control panel, the panel is empty (only the grey background), there are no controls (I have updated from the previous 3.1 version which behaved in the same way hoping to solve the problem).
Clicking randomly in the panel, the corresponding scroll menu are activated but they do not show up correctly (I have also included a screenshot (a PNG file) made with the integrated camera of the PC, but the program has the same behavior with the ZWO camera).

I have a second (old) Dell Latitude (on which there was originally a Win7 Ultimate upgraded to Win10 Pro) and Sharpcap works fine on it, so my impression is that something in the software of the new computer is missing, bur what?
thanks in advance for suggestions
regards
Nino
Attachments
Sharpcap_Capture.PNG
Sharpcap_Capture.PNG (713.7 KiB) Viewed 2419 times
Sharpcap_PC_conf.txt
PC configuration
(1.41 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: No controls in camera control panel

Post by admin »

Hi,

two common causes of this sort of problem are

1) Not having the right graphics card drivers installed for your graphics card (ie Windows has fallen back onto the default 'basic display' drivers)

2) Using some types of remote access software

I think in this case where the controls are obviously there and sort of working but invisible, option 1 (or something related to it) is the likely cause. You may find that running SharpCap from the command line with the additional option '/softwarerendering' works around the issue.

cheers,

Robin
Nino

Post by Nino »

Many thanks Robin.
I have tried with the option /softwarerendering and the program show the panel with visible controls.

cheers
Nino
tedcrampton

Post by tedcrampton »

Hello, I am running a remote observatory via a mini pc mounted on the forks of the mount and team viewer and have the same problem of no controls visible.
I can solve it by running a wireless hdmi connection but ideally I don’t want the extra drain on the battery during run sessions - the battery is recharged when session is finished and scope is parked so no wires to wrap!

Could you please give me details/idiots guide on how to start sharpcap from the command line with software rendering.

Many thanks
Ted
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Assuming that you are running a recent version of Windows, the step should be the following.

Press the Windows key and type CMD then press enter. This should start a command prompt window.
In the command prompt type exactly this then press enter.

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files (x86)\SharpCap 3.2\SharpCap.exe" /softwarerendering
Note that if you are using the 64-bit version of SharpCap or if you have a 32-bit version of Windows you will need to use this alternative version

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\SharpCap 3.2\SharpCap.exe" /softwarerendering
Hope this helps, Robin