Multiple ZWO Cameras

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
wcblack7

Multiple ZWO Cameras

Post by wcblack7 »

Hi,
Sorry, I'm not sure how to edit my original post, but I meant to add that I've tried running multiple instances of SharpCap to control one camera from one instance and the other camera from the other instance, but get similar results with one of the cameras getting listed twice under the native controls, but both listed under the DirectShow controls.

Thanks again!
Bill
turfpit

Re: Multiple ZWO Cameras

Post by turfpit »

Here you go Bill

edit-button.JPG
edit-button.JPG (16.46 KiB) Viewed 1379 times
Dave
celkins

Re: Multiple ZWO Cameras

Post by celkins »

Bill,
this sounds like USB chipset compatibility issues, to me - I’ve had this battle - particularly as you note you have only 1 USB3 port, but several USB2s: older chipsets tend to be not very good combined with new USB3 cameras - I’ve found that only the Intel chipset on my motherboard is reliable; several add in cards have not been (in several computers), nor is the USB3.1 chip on my motherboard.
I run 2 ZWO cameras in my imaging rig (either ZWO183MC or ZWO071MC, and a ZWO183MM, so not small ones), and a USB3 QHY as my guide cam: whilst you note that direct connections are recommended, USB3 has serious limits on timing, and hence cable length, so both of my imaging cameras are hooked up via a shared daisy chain of 2 USB3 hubs, simply to manage signal timing over the distance; I have had to tweak the “USB turbo” to 80 for both cameras to get reliable transfer, but I seem to be in the sweet spot.
My hubs are the cheapest Anker ones from Amazon (circa £10), since of the ones I’ve tried to date, these seem best able to cope with subzero & damp conditions. Don’t forget to turn off power management for every hub in the chain - this really screws things up.
Good luck, it is possible...