NEQ6 Ascom connection

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
Butterbelly

NEQ6 Ascom connection

Post by Butterbelly »

Hi
have been keeping up to date with new versions and beta releases - am now on 3.0.3861.0 and have a pro license - thanks for the great software.
I use an NEQ6 Pro and up to now versions of SC I have used have not reported any issues with mount connections. I have used SC to move mount and plate solve in test situation.

However I currently have an issue when I try to set up the mount in the hardware section

Please see attachment for screenshot of issue - I can continue on and I do get the ascom popup to control mount and camera works but I get no SC connection to the mount and no PLATE SOLVE option - the real pain

Relevant log info below

Info: 11:43:56.1955124 Thread:#1 SharpCap.MultiCaptureProvider.StartPreview() :: Starting preview on GPCAMAR0130M
Info: 11:43:56.1975131 Thread:#1 SharpCap.Base.CaptureProviderBase`1.StartPreview() :: Started
Info: 11:43:56.2005109 Thread:#1 SharpCap.Base.CaptureProviderBase`1.StartPreview() :: Starting Preview on GPCAMAR0130M, 1280x960, Mono
Debug: 11:43:56.2005109 Thread:#1 SharpCap.Base.BaseImageProvider.Start() :: Started
Debug: 11:43:56.2015113 Thread:#1 SharpCap.Base.CameraProxyBase.StartPreview() :: Started
Debug: 11:43:56.2025142 Thread:Grab Thread#24 SharpCap.Base.CameraProxyBase.GrabThreadProc() :: Started
Debug: 11:43:56.5995263 Thread:#1 SharpCap.Base.CameraProxyBase.StartPreview() :: Ended
Debug: 11:43:56.6005260 Thread:#1 SharpCap.Base.BaseImageProvider.Start() :: Ended
Info: 11:43:56.6025235 Thread:#1 SharpCap.MultiCaptureProvider.SendCaptureEvent(Object sender, CaptureEventArgs e) :: Capture Event : StartPreview
Debug: 11:43:56.6025235 Thread:#1 SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM.MountWrapper..ctor(String deviceName, String progId) :: Started
Info: 11:43:56.6035264 Thread:#1 SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM.MountWrapper..ctor(String deviceName, String progId) :: Creating ASCOM Telescope mount of type EQMOD.Telescope ('EQMOD ASCOM HEQ5/6')
Debug: 11:43:58.8697217 Thread:#1 SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM.MountWrapper..ctor(String deviceName, String progId) :: Ended
Info: 11:44:02.6286031 Thread:#1 SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM.MountWrapper.TryConnect() :: The mount claims to be EQMOD HEQ5/6, EQASCOM V1.29a

USITG, EQMOD ASCOM Driver, 1.0
Error: 11:44:02.6676014 Thread:#1 SharpCap.Utils.TaskDialogHelper.ShowErrorReportTaskDialog(IWin32Window parentWindow, Exception e, String caption, String instructionText, String textPreamble, String linkInstruction, Boolean showIgnore) :: Exception from An error occurred while trying to connect to your EQMOD ASCOM HEQ5/6 Mount. : This mount driver does not support the MoveAxis command.
Stack Trace: at SharpCap.Models.Application.MergeInDeviceIndependentControls(CaptureControl controls) in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\src\SharpCap\Models\Application.cs:line 642
Extra Info:
Info: 11:44:31.0681221 Thread:#1 SharpCap.Base.CaptureProviderBase`1.StartPreview() :: Ended

PS All ascom diagnostics pass

Many thanks
Keith Butterworth
Attachments
Cropped down to attach
Cropped down to attach
2017-05-04 (1).jpg (52.6 KiB) Viewed 2212 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: NEQ6 Ascom connection

Post by admin »

That's not supposed to happen for the NEQ6 Eqmod driver - that one is supposed to work nicely (it's what I use!).

Can I check a couple of things?

What version of EQMOD do you have installed?
Are you trying to use the EQMOD ASCOM driver via an ASCOM hub like POTH?

I'm going to test this one myself a bit later, but the answers to the above will help make my test as similar as possible to your setup.

thanks,

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have just tested this against my NEQ6 and all seems to work fine (EQASCOM version 1.29a).

1.29a seems to be the latest released version of EQMOD, so I'd suggest upgrading to that if you have an earlier version as a first thing to try.

cheers,

Robin
Butterbelly

Post by Butterbelly »

Hi thanks for reply
version of eqmod is 1.29a - I try to keep as up to date as possible

It was interesting you mentioned Poth as I had been tesing using POTH - focuser control will be needed eventually - but that I can sort in the future :)

So I tried saving my config for eqmod and deleting the config file.

This seemed to fix the issue and I now have things back to how it was - i.e. telescope contol options within sharpcap

many thanks - if you need anymore info re this issue and process let me know and I will try to help ;)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah, good to hear that it is working again now - if you find that you do need to make the config changes in the end that cause the problem again, please feel free to raise the issue again (although if the ASCOM hub doesn't support MoveAxis then there isn't much I can do I think!)

cheers,

Robin