Drop Frames ASI1600MMCool

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
donboy

Re: Drop Frames ASI1600MMCool

Post by donboy »

ImageUSBtree1 by donboysail, on Flickr

ImageUSBtree2 by donboysail, on Flickr
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Don

A quick Google for fresco logic usb3.0 host controller comes up with this
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 828bc9fe55 which might be worth a read.

To help progress this, please post:
  • USBtreeView full report
  • Msinfo export (zip this up)
When I had USB3 issues because I upgraded my old workstation to Win 10, I resolved the unsupported chipset by installing a new PCI card.
https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters ... PEXUSB3S25
This has a power adapter on the card and I supply power to the card from one of the motherboard drive power connectors.

Looks like this might be a desktop (possibly Giga-Byte or Asus). Have you tried a camera only test (no other USB devices connected) using the manufacturer supplied cable on another machine, or even on this machine?

Where are you writing the captured frames to (I notice an external drive F connected)?

The thread title say Drop Frames ASI1600MCool but the graphic has an ASI294MC connected??

Dave
saguaro

Post by saguaro »

Here is my USB tree view with the 1600MC-Cool attached.
usb tree view.JPG
usb tree view.JPG (159.27 KiB) Viewed 3206 times
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Robin

What happens if you run a camera only test (no other USB devices connected) using the manufacturer supplied cable with camera plugged directly into a laptop port?

I think you mentioned that you had USB Suspend disabled?

Please post:
  • USBtreeView full report
  • Msinfo export (zip this up)
Dave
donboy

Post by donboy »

I connected the ASI294MC Pro to my comouter's USB3 port with the cable that comes with the camera. When changing exposure settings the camera started todrop frames and I unchecked and rechecked the camera under the Cameratab. From that point the camera continued to work fine without dropping frames.

If it's related to the USB cable I guess I'll live with it for once I get past the 1 or 2 times of it dropping frames it then continues to work for hours. Maybe somewhere along the line something will change and the problem disappear.

Thanks for trying help figure out what's happening.

Don
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Don

Perhaps you have another machine to test the camera/cable? Also try another (short) cable to see if the problem persists.

Dave
donboy

Post by donboy »

I just took some darks with the ASI294MCPro inside and when capturing at 120sec I got up to 5 frames out of 10 and it started to drop all frames. I was using another 6 foot USB3 cable (doesn't seem to make a difference as to cable). As usual once I get past the initial drop frame sequence I don't experience dropped frames for the rest of the session. I didn't however try this with my laptop. I'll need to that next.

What is most puzzling is that drop frames occurs after 5, 6 or 7 frames and then it works fine for the rest of the session even if it's 5 hours long.

Don
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Don,

can you share your log from the session please? I'd just like to check that the problem isn't to do with the maximum time allowed for the frame to arrive from the camera.

Cheers

Robin
donboy

Post by donboy »

Turned computer on tonight and previous log was over written.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No worries, just grab the log the next time it happens and I will then have a look.
Cheers, Robin