Plate Solving conundrum

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
galljj

Plate Solving conundrum

Post by galljj »

Robin:

Up until today plate solving has always worked for me. But today I installed the new non-beta 3.2 and now have run into problems. When I go to plate solve, the system fails and I get the error message as shown in the attached jpeg. I've also enclosed a copy of the log from the session. I tried dropping the sigma value - all the way to 1 - but that did nothing. i uninstalled an reinstalled about every relevant piece of software. None of that helped. I went back to the most recent beta version - which had happily plate solved only last week. But it too, failed.

I actually suspect that my anti-virus program (Avast) might have updated itself, and is now causing issues. Have you had any troubles reported with avast anti-virus ?

Usually I do not connect my dedicated imaging computer to the internet, for fear of that Microsoft and others will upgrade their programs with unintended consequences ( or, in some cases intended ones !). But to day I got lazy and connected the imaging computer to the internet and downloaded the new SC code. Perhaps some upgrade did me in.

Any light you can shed on this problem is appreciated.

john

The attachment sclogfile.txt is no longer available
[attachment=0]platesolve.jpg
Attachments
sclogfile.txt
(119.19 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
oopfan

Re: Plate Solving conundrum

Post by oopfan »

John,

In your log file I found this interesting:
OSError: [Errno 11] Resource temporarily unavailable
Perhaps a file remained locked following the install. Did you try rebooting your computer?

----------------

This is somewhat related but perhaps it will be helpful in diagnosing the problem:

I use WebRoot SecureAnywhere for protection. The other day when I launched SC 3.1.5220 WebRoot popped up a dialog telling me that SC was not trusted. I dismissed it and now it works. I never experienced that before.

Brian
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

John
I actually suspect that my anti-virus program (Avast) might have updated itself, and is now causing issues. Have you had any troubles reported with avast anti-virus ?
A SharpCap forum search for Avast will tell you all you need to know.

Dave
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

it certainly looks from the log as if the main command for the plate solving is being launched OK by SharpCap and then this command is having trouble launching all the worker programs it uses. I think AV might well be the problem, and Avast has form for black marks (as you can tell from Dave's comment above). It seems to be more intrusive than many other AV and therefore cause more problems :(

cheers,

Robin
galljj

Post by galljj »

Thanks all, I’ll let you know what happens next clear night

John
galljj

Post by galljj »

It seems that Avast was the issue. I uninstalled it - what a pain - the "normal" uninstall apparently doesn't remove it all, and so one has to run a special program with windows in safe mode.

But plate solving is now back.

Thanks for all your work

john
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Thanks for the feedback John.

Most AV programs, because they operate at a very low level within the operating system, need a 'special' uninstall procedure.

For my own capture laptop, I don't have any AV software installed, it doesn't get used to surf the internet and any software required gets copied via external drive. The laptop can access the internet to download items like .NET components for SharpCap. This strategy leaves all the machine resources free to deal with things like writing high fps to disk.

Dave
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Another black mark against Avast then :(

I find that the Microsoft Windows Defender anti-virus is nicely unintrusive and just does the job without getting in the way.

cheers,

Robin