Error during preview

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
dbunna2

Re: Error during preview

Post by dbunna2 »

Broke it again :roll:

Removing Avast, even without a reboot, restores my webcam display. I didn't test it with my various frame grabbers, but I willing to believe that Avast was the culprit.
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Thanks for trying that. At least the error can be reproduced consistently on your hardware.

There are 4 variants of Avast - Premier, Internet Security, Pro, Free - which are you using?

There are also articles on the web about how to configure Avast to exclude programs from the various shields. It might be worth asking Avast support, particularly if internal cameras are broken since 28th April. This might get fixed by them in due course.

Let us wait and see what happens with the other posters with this issue.

Dave
dbunna2

Post by dbunna2 »

I was running the free version of Avast and did try to take a stab at excluding the SharpCap 3.0 directory. It didn't work.
Ray Wraye

Post by Ray Wraye »

Uninstalling my free Version of Avast fixed my issue.

I then used Windows Defender and the issue returned.

For now, I have to turn off (disable) the live protection mode on Windows Defender to use my webcam with SharpCap and most other applications.
But at least I can use it. That is when and if the skies ever clear in Mid-Michigan

Thanks again everyone for your help
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Ray

That is another Avast PC with the symptoms.

Can you open a command prompt and post the output of the ver command please, so I can see which version of Windows you are using.

Dave
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dave,

there is another user with the same problem who also used Avast here - http://www.astronomyshed.co.uk/forum/vi ... 5&p=196036. The evidence is pretty damning....

cheers,

Robin
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Ray

Have a look at the Avast removal tool https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility. The Avast uninstall via Windows might not clean up completely. This might have something to do with why Windows Defender is playing up as well.

I tried to reproduce the problem by installing Avast Free on a Windows 10 Creators build but everything worked properly. I cannot reproduce the conditions of 29th April now with Avast. Something that was broken might now have been fixed.

Have you considered a system restore back to prior to 29th April?

Dave
Ray Wraye

Post by Ray Wraye »

Dave, Robin, Thanks again for all the attention on this issue, especially now that it seems to be solved.

Output from VER:
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]
(c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Ray>ver

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]

Dave, I will look at the removal tool and see if that makes a difference. I did use revo uninstaller thinking that would clean everything up but perhaps not. If the uninstall tool you recommended does not work, I will investigate another AV program.

Ray
Ray Wraye

Post by Ray Wraye »

Dave, Just an update. Your suggestion to run the AVAST uninstall tool worked a charm!

Every webcam program works now with Windows Defender live protection enabled.

Avast is very tenacious to escape the revo uninstall and removal program!

Thanks again!

Ray :D
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Ray

The output from ver tells me you are running a fully patched Window 10 (prior to the Creators update).

You might want to download Avast and install it again - at least you know how to fix it if the problem occurs again. All AV products have 'special' clean-up program.

I spent 30 years supporting computer operating systems - hence the first question I asked was more than lucky. AV products have caused me more pain than the stuff they are protecting against.

On my image capture laptop, I don't run any AV software other than Windows Defender. This is not a risk as I never browse the internet with this particular laptop.

Dave