Error during preview

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
admin
Site Admin

Re: Error during preview

Post by admin »

Oops, sorry - got muddled - you are not on the Creator's update, but the previous Win10 build. My comments above still apply to the Creator Update. Ray, did you install/uninstall anything else even vaguely video related?

cheers,

Robin
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Folks

A summary of this thread so far:
  • Problems with SharpCap across XP, Vista, Win 10 and Win 10 + Creators
  • All the machines were working correctly up to 29th April
  • Problems start on 30th April
  • Internal cameras and other cameras not working
What, if any, antivirus products are being run on these machines?

Dave
dbunna2

Post by dbunna2 »

I'm running Avast on both laptops that have problems. The problem remains if I turn Avast off.

I can see the my built in webcams display by visiting https://www.onlinemictest.com/webcam-test, but not with SharpCap or wxAstroCapture.

I can see my webcam and frame grabber using Yawcam.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm still trying to get some sort of clear picture of what is going on here. It seems that my failures with Windows Creators update are most likely down to testing in a VMWare virtual machine, as Dave (turfpit) has tested and everything seems to work fine.

Please continue to post with any useful info that might help sort out the cause. I have seen it happen before when three or four people post info that seems to make no sense to them on it's own, but put all the info together and suddenly a picture emerges.

Going to update a real machine to Win10 creators next and see how that behaves.

cheers,

Robin
Ray Wraye

Post by Ray Wraye »

Again, Thanks Robin for working on this.

To the best of my knowledge (rememberance) I did not install any other programs or drivers, in fact I have uninstalled many, including the last windows 10 update (not creator, but regular OS updated) with no Joy. My camera's worked, with SharpCap on April 28th but not on April 30th.

However, yesterday, I did download and install cyberlink youcam 6 from HP website, I am using HP laptop, and it works with both camera's! my internal laptop cam and my Logitech Quickcam 4000 pro. But still no joy on SharpCap or Windows built in Camera APP. Weird!

One thing I did notice is that when I try to play an MP3 using Windows 10 "Groove Music" app I get the same error 0x80070005 and the MP3 doesn't play. I don't know if thats a clue, but the MP3's played fine at an earlier date. So it certainly seems to be a windows issue, but one other user reported the same issue with XP happening over the same dates.

Ray
Ray Wraye

Post by Ray Wraye »

Sorry,

Forgot to include that fact I am running Avast antivirus also. But, also, I disable the shields and the problem remains. But that does not mean the program itself is disabled.

Ray
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Ray for the updates. Avast is looking interesting as a possible common factor. Even if scanning is turned off, AntiVirus tends to worm its way into every program running on a PC, so it could be somehow interfering with webcam functionality. It might be an interesting experiment to completely uninstall it, reboot and see if the problem goes away if anyone is willing to try.

On the Windows Creator Edition side of things, I have now tested with a proper machine updated to Creator Edition and had no problems. 7 different webcams/grabbers tested and I ran them all to at least 10000 frames without a problem, so I think we can rule that out completely now.

cheers,

Robin
dbunna2

Post by dbunna2 »

Deleting Avast seems to have fixed it. I can now see myself with the built in webcam while before all was black. I also now see frames previewed with the webcam and an EZCap frame grabber.

This is a good thing!

Let me know if you want me to test further, but I think that this is it.

Tkx Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That's great news!

Kudos to Dave (@turfpit) who first suggested that it might be connected to Antivirus software :)

cheers,

Robin
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

dbunna2

The big test now is to re-install Avast and see what the effect is.

Dave