Direction buttons don't work when using iPad RDP

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
nm1213

Direction buttons don't work when using iPad RDP

Post by nm1213 »

Hello,

I’m using Sharpcap 3.1 (latest version) with a headless mini-PC. I also use an iPad with MS RDP to remote into Sharpcap.

The mount (Skywatcher AZ-GTI) is connected to the mini-PC wirelessly, and I’ve also installed the relevant ASCOM driver.

Stellarium and the Skywatcher Synscan app work fine with both goto and manual slewing. However, I cannot use the iPad RDP app to manually slew in Sharpcap. I can hear/feel the mount motors engage and then they cut out.

However, I can successfully use either a mac or windows RDP session and slew manually using the relevant Sharpcap direction arrow buttons.

This likely means there is a difference when controlling the mouse cursor with the iPad RDP app. There are two options… Touch and mouse cursor. Both result in the same behaviour when using the iPad RDP app. Note that I can successfully manually slew this way with Skywatcher’s synscan direction arrows.

Sincerely,

N.
turfpit

Re: Direction buttons don't work when using iPad RDP

Post by turfpit »

N

Has this configuration been working or has anything changed (no matter how innocuous)?

Have a look at https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/microso ... 64092?mt=8. Scroll down until you find the review on the right Significant problems with iOS 11. Might be worth trying another RDP client on you iPad to get to the bottom of/isolate this?

Dave
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

from your description it sounds like the button is effectively being pressed and then released very quickly - perhaps because the RDP software of the iPad is not properly relaying the fact that you are holding the button down to the PC.

SharpCap starts the mount moving when it receives a mouse button down event over the button and stops when it receives the next mouse button up event, so I am working on the theory that the RDP software is wrongly sending mouse button up events to cause the behaviour that you are seeing.

I wonder if there are different RDP clients for the iPad - if there are it may be worth trying a few to see if any work correctly.

cheers,

Robin
nm1213

Post by nm1213 »

Hi Robin,

Yes exactly what is going on. MS RDP isn't relaying the button presses correctly. However, the same kind of presses are working fine within the Syncscan Windows app, which allows me to slew continuously by keeping the button pressed. Therefore I assumed there was something different in the way Sharpcap was handling button presses... perhaps Synscan introduces a little lag per press or something.

Also note that the MS desktop RDP clients (both mac and windows) work perfectly for Sharpcap.

I'll give another iPad RDP client a shot.

Thanks for your help!

N.