QHY8 start up - error now being given?

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
Lawrence

QHY8 start up - error now being given?

Post by Lawrence »

Hi Robin,
I have a pre-loved QHY8 OSC that I've been using to get started in astro photography. A bit long in the tooth now and somewhat challenging to get it going but it has been doing something for some weeks now driven by SharpCap.

Install and operation - that was working;

Win 10 - 64 bit
SharpCap v 3.1.5219 (issue seen on prior release, updated just in case but...)
QHY8 camera with drivers from QHY website

Camera connection option - QHY star sense sci

I have the log and will email on the side, with the screen grabs.

Not sure if relevant but recent changes have been to add Astrotortilla plate solving, Hitecastro focus controller and CGEM mount hardware - did try to undo these additions and tried again to no avail but there may be lingering config ?

Previously, when working.

I used to select the camera, wait a mo then get the live view. An option for the camera ASCOM settings was available and would launch an ASCOM dialogue box for Gain etc

However, now I get this ASCOM box pop up as soon as the camera is selected and thereafter I get an error message that the method or operation is not implemented. Can't launch camera.

Camera still opens via QHY Native WMD mode but it's pants and unusable for imaging so I've never used that setting.

Hoping you can assist

Rgds

Lawrence
admin
Site Admin

Re: QHY8 start up - error now being given?

Post by admin »

Hi,

I have now spent some more time reviewing the information that you sent regarding this error - what I can see is the following.

1) SharpCap's first attempt to connect to the camera fails - SharpCap asks the camera to connect and it gives an error
2) Because the connection attempt fails, SharpCap shows the camera properties to you (some cameras may require choices to be made in the camera properties before they connect)
3) Once you close the properties box, SharpCap then attempts to connect the camera a second time in the hope that the user has corrected any issues by changing settings in the properties dialog. This attempt to connect also fails in the same way as the first attempt.
4) SharpCap then shows you the report error message box becuase two attempts to connect to the camera failed.

Looking at the image you included of the QHY8 setup dialog, I noticed that it has 'FW:Unknown' at the bottom - I wonder if this indicates that the software is failing to communicate with the camera hardware for some reason. If you have any software that will work with the camera *without* using the ASCOM driver then I would suggest you test that to see if it can talk to the camera correctly - if that software also has problems then I would suspect a USB communications or hardware issue.

hope this helps,

Robin
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Thanks Robin, super quick response appreciated

Will have a look either this evening or Thurs and report back.

Rgds
Lawrence
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Hi Robin

Apols for delay in responding.

Seems to be working now, may be a coincidence BUT I have removed the 64 bit version of Astrotortilla for the 32 bit - as it gave me a similar (I think the same actually) error message when I opened and ran it.

No idea why but as long as I leave 'tortilla alone - and SharpCap manages it for the plate solving - it's fine.

Generally having no success running 'tortilla independently, it doesn't seem to like the QHY8 camera so not bothering at this time, plans afoot to upgrade to a new camera soon and I''ll return to the app then, see what happens.

Rgds

Lawrence
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Good to hear that it's working.

Astrotortilla is great, but by default it installs with options set up that don't seem to work very well, which makes it a struggle to get going with it. I spent some time working out what tweaks are needed to get good results and then building those into the way that SharpCap uses Astrotortilla. The biggest thing to sort out is to set the

Code: Select all

--sigma
parameter correctly to find a sensible number of stars (30-100).

cheers,

Robin