Hypercam 183C V2 not working with 3.2.5825

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
nexusjeep

Hypercam 183C V2 not working with 3.2.5825

Post by nexusjeep »

Hi,
I have Sharpcap 3.2.5825 installed but had the same issue with the previous release when I activate the Hypercam 183C V2 camera it opens and starts recording the frame but at 10 seconds the fan turns off I then get a message when it reaches the 15 second exposure point to say the camera has stopped working re plug or restart Sharpcap. If I do this then I get the exact same message, if I open version 3.1 the camera is working fine, not sure what other information you need as I am not actually getting a crash so to speak. I have tried changing the USB speed between 0 , 1 and 2 but get exactly the same issue.

Windows 10 Enterprise + 4.6 .NET update
Eagle 2 Pro

Log file attached hopefully

Cheers

Nick
Attachments
Sharpcap Log.txt
(32.97 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Hypercam 183C V2 not working with 3.2.5825

Post by admin »

Hi,

thanks for the log - from that it looks like the camera has stopped responding to the software.

An interesting experiment would be to copy altaircam.dll from the 3.1 install folder over the copy in the 3.2 install folder. If that makes things start working then the issue is with changes in the Altair SDK between the two versions. If it still behaves the same then the blame is likely to fall on changes in SharpCap. If it breaks completely (can't open camera) then it just means that the two versions are incompatible and we haven't learnt anything much. If you get a chance to try this out, do let me know the result.

cheers,

Robin
nexusjeep

Post by nexusjeep »

Hi Robin,
Thanks for the quick response I have copied the .dll over and it appears to be behaving normally again now, the only weird thing was that when I start the camera with the old .dll on the first frame at 10 seconds you can hear the fan pause which is were the newer .dll falls over but with the old .dll the fan comes back in and the exposure continues, on the subsequent frames there is no change to the fan pitch at all.

Cheers
Nick
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

so good in one respect that you have a workaround, but worrying that at least in some cases the latest SDK is not working with the 183C. My 183C seems fine with 3.2.5825 (not sure if mine is a Mk2 or not to be honest though). I will keep an eye out for this problem - if it starts affecting other 183C users then we will have to investigate further.

cheers,

Robin
nexusjeep

Post by nexusjeep »

Hi Robin,
The old one from 3.1worked fine last night as we imaged andromeda for 3.5 hrs without issue, I assume I will need to copy this back each time after an update as the installer will always put down the latest altaircam.dll.

Thanks for the help

Nick
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Robin

When I get home this evening, I can test this version against an Altair 183C V2 and SC version. I am still running the 3.2 beta.

Dave
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Nick,

yes, you will need to perform the copy after each update until we work out what the problem is with the new version.

Dave, it will be useful to have another data point on this issue.

cheers,

Robin
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

I have carried out the following tests with the Altair 183C V2 I have.
  • SharpCap at 3.2.5781.0 (BETA), camera works.
  • Upgrade to SharpCap 3.2.5825, using 'run as administrator, camera works.
  • At this point AltairCapture was at Mar 15 2018.
  • Upgrade AltairCapture to Sep 26 2018. This seems to have reverted to a 2-step process, install AltairAstroDshow then AltairCapture.
  • Camera works.

Here are the details of the camera found in AltairCapture Help > Diagnose [Note: in older versions found in Properties].

camera-properties.png
camera-properties.png (25.32 KiB) Viewed 3220 times

The history of this camera is that it was a 183C V1 prototype and had a board upgrade to make it V2.

I wonder if this issue has anything to do with the version of AltairCapture installed, as this is where the driver gets placed on the PC (I think)?

Dave
nexusjeep

Post by nexusjeep »

Hi
I do not have Altair capture installed as I have never used it and did not realise it had to be there for Sharpcap as I have not installed it previously I will try installing it tonight on the Eagle then revert the dll to the new one to see what happens and report back

Cheers
Nick
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

AltairCapture might not need to be present - Robin can confirm that. I install it for the simple reason of testing the camera. If there were issues then I would dealing with a single vendor for camera, driver, capture software (no get-outs) - a strategy based on life experience!

Dave