Fits format does not work in PIxInsight Batch Pre-Processing

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
sandconp

Fits format does not work in PIxInsight Batch Pre-Processing

Post by sandconp »

I am trying to use Batch Pre-Processing in Pixinsight with output from Sharpcap .FITS format and when I try to add my light frames, I get an error message.

Unable to determine frame type.
procyon12

Re: Fits format does not work in PIxInsight Batch Pre-Processing

Post by procyon12 »

Hi,

just tested with PI 1.8.8-2 Ripley (x64) (not the latest) and BPP 1.52; OS W7-64; SC 3.2.6396.0 32bit Pro.

There were no problems with:
FITS 10 lights, 1 masterdark, no bias and flats, originating from a QHY174GPS camera and also from a simple webcam.

Maybe you need to specify your setup a little.

Christian
sandconp

Post by sandconp »

I am just trying to load in 30 light frames that I cut from Sharpcap. I check the box ‘Raw Frames’ to make sure that I create individual frames. If I take my output from APT, I don’t have this issue.

What would be the difference between APT and Sharpcap ?
procyon12

Post by procyon12 »

Which camera, color or mono?
I do not find a checkbox "Raw Frames" - can you show a screenshot?
Which version of PI, BPP do you use?

Christian

edit: Sorry, I think you meant "RAW" in SC. Then you have a color cam? Did you ckeck the box "CFA Images" in BPP/Global Options?
sandconp

Post by sandconp »

My Camera is a ZWO OSC. And Yes I did mean 'RAW' in Sharpcap which allows me to create individual frames which can be stacked later in DSS, Sharpcap using the camera folder or Pixinsight.

So far I have only been able to stack my frames within Sharpcap using the Camera Folder option and check the post processing options of adding darks and flats.

I tried checking 'CFA Images' in the Global Options in PI and I continue to get the error message : Unable to determine frame type in my FITS File.

Maybe Robin can chime in here if he is reading this post.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

it looks as though the batch preprocessing feature in pixinsight is looking for an "IMAGETYP" header on the fits files, which isn't something that SharpCap adds to its fits files. I'm not sure if there's a way to work around this in pixinsight (they usually is, and three other ways of doing the same thing). I will make a note that the header is missing and try to add it to a future version.

Cheers, Robin
procyon12

Post by procyon12 »

Please have a look at the last post here:
https://pixinsight.com/forum/index.php? ... sue.14291/

Maybe this helps ?

Christian
chongo228

Post by chongo228 »

Try using the "add custom" button to the right of the "add darks, lights, etc" at the bottom of BPP.

If what I think is happening is true, I've run into it before. Without the header info PI doesn't know what type of frame it is.....so you have to tell it with the add custom. I have to do this for my darks, flats, and lights as SC doesn't put the info needed in PI into the header.

Select the files under add custom and then tell it what type of frame it is under the drop down menu, add the filter name(or make one up as I think you have to put something...just make sure you use the same name on your light frames).
sandconp

Post by sandconp »

procyon12 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:17 pm Please have a look at the last post here:
https://pixinsight.com/forum/index.php? ... sue.14291/

Maybe this helps ?

Christian
That article helped. I added my lights using add lights button and that worked. I must of been clicking add files which was looking for the IMGTYPE in the fits header. I then added my master flat and dark and ran BPP but I get not get a 'master' output folder??

This may now be a PixInsight Forum Question.