Sky Brightness Measure hangs

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
AstroDave

Sky Brightness Measure hangs

Post by AstroDave »

Hi

I'm a new user excited at the prospect of getting some good advise from the smart histogram function (I'm a licensed Pro user) . However I've never been able to get it to work. I have successfully completed the Sensor Analysis (and navigated the its-too-dim-or-its-too-bright issue), but when I press the Measure button I never get a result. It does change the exposure to 1000ms and sometimes it changes it to >5minutes, but then it just sits there. I have waited sometimes up to 20 mins to no avail. I have run it on full frames and on on an FX Selection Area - all to no avail.

All other functionality has worked fine: Polar Alignment, Capture, Live Stacking. But Measure sky brightness and I get a
"Fetching still frame from ZWO camera failed with ExpFailed" in the log.

Vers: 3.2.5892.0
Camera: ZWO ASI294MC Pro
Scope: LX200 8" (with FR)
Log extracts attached

Any ideas?

Regards
Attachments
SharpCapLog.txt
(5.2 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sky Brightness Measure hangs

Post by admin »

Hi,

What happens if you try changing the camera exposure manually to longer intervals like 2s or 5s? Does that work? From the log it looks like exposures of 2 to 3 seconds (the value in the log is in milliseconds) are failing when the sensor analysis attempts them - I don't think there's any reason that that should be any different from the results if you just set the exposure slider to a similar length of time.

I would certainly recommend anyway that you have a look at the USB troubleshooting steps at the top of the bug reports forum page – there are some good suggestions in there which can sometimes help unblock this sort of issue.

Cheers, Robin
AstroDave

Post by AstroDave »

Thanks for the reply

I’ve had no trouble at all with longer exposures, 5s,10s,40s,2mins for example.

Thanks for the advise on USB troubleshooting - I will work through that document.

Regards
AstroDave

Post by AstroDave »

OK. It is a USB issue. Replacing the USB cable with a 1 metre one allows the measure to complete.

Thanks very much for the advice.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

It's amazing how sensitive some of these cameras are to USB cable length – we have all become used to USB stuff just working, but these high speed high resolution cameras push the USB system to its limits. I found that 3 to 3.5 m of cable is the maximum that will work at all reliably for USB3.

Cheers, Robin