Bug Reports for Beta 3.2.5638.0

Discussions, Bug Reports and Issues related to Beta versions of SharpCap
cuivenion

Bug Reports for Beta 3.2.5638.0

Post by cuivenion »

- Minor bug: When the mouse cursor hovers over the histogram button, the tooltip shows live stacking.

- I had a crash while live stacking with the Monitor Folder Camera. I sent the error warning that popped up, hopefully it was received. Please find attached the log. I think its the right one.

- When using The Folder Monitor Camera with TIFFs generated by a Canon EOS 500D the Colour Space shows as MONO16 and Sharpcap can't seem to detect the correct Bayer Pattern. GRBG gives what I think are the best results, but I thought the correct pattern was RGGB. I tried forcing each Bayer Pattern but I cant seem to get a good balance when using the Auto Colour Balance in live stacking. Not necessarily a bug maybe something I'm doing wrong.

- After trying live stacking again with the Monitor Folder Camera I've found that the Auto Colour Balance button doesn't work. Nothing happens when I press the button manually. The reset button works when I manually set the balance.

- Weiner Deconvolution seems to have no effect.

Apologies if some of this has been resolved in the new build.
Attachments
Log_2018-07-11T00_01_32-10656.log
(224.92 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
turfpit

Re: Bug Reports for Beta 3.2.5638.0

Post by turfpit »

Regarding the Bayer pattern , have a read at viewtopic.php?f=19&t=845&p=4028&hilit=bayer+pipp#p4028

If you think the pattern should be RGGB, I would expect PIPP to report GBRG. Load a RAW image into PIPP and see what is reported. This all relates to how different software reads the Bayer pattern - either row 1 then row 2 OR row 2 then row 1

RG
GB

is RGGB if sofware reads 1st row then second row
or GBRG if software reads second row then first row.

Here is a shameless plug for viewtopic.php?f=35&t=254

This is what happens with standards that are not well defined.

Dave
cuivenion

Post by cuivenion »

Thanks, I thought it would be something like that. I'll just stick with GRBG for now. It may have something to do with how Sharpcap is loading the file. The file appears with the longer column in the vertical rather the horizontal, maybe that has something to do with it.

I've tried the new beta and the Auto White Balance button is working now. It still has a very green hue but I think that is due to light pollution and hazy conditions. The green line in the histogram was slightly higher than blue or red on the slope towards the right hand side, so even if I had the peaks aligned the green was boosted slightly
cuivenion

Post by cuivenion »

Ok, quick update. The Auto White Balance doesn't work when a dark is being used. This is the reason I reported it as working with the latest beta, I didn't use a dark with the that test. I tested again with a dark trying to get a better image.

So the bug is, when a dark is being used the Auto Colour Balance in live stacking doesn't work. Ironically using a dark helped me get a better colour balance albeit manually.

This is when used with the folder monitor camera importing TIFFS.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

thanks for the reports :)

* Tooltip - fixed for next version
* Crash report - needs more logging to work out how it got itself into the state that caused the crash
* Bayer pattern - You have to pick this manually as there is no metadata on TIFF files to say what the pattern is. Not sure if I even got that to work on FITS files, but I ought to
* AWB - this tries to align the histogram peaks, but maybe with a dark being subtracted the peaks are all at pretty much zero, so it does nothing. If you send me your processed final images (with and without darks) I will experiment with enhancements to this.
* Deconvolution - turn this up high and you should see a noise effect and rings around stars like this
deconvolve_too_much.JPG
deconvolve_too_much.JPG (47.35 KiB) Viewed 4442 times
Compare to an unsharpened image
no_sharpen.JPG
no_sharpen.JPG (25.94 KiB) Viewed 4442 times
The trick is to find the slider position where the sharpening is noticeable but the nasty noise and rings around stars aren't causing a problem. The thing to note is that deconvolution is slow and should be used with caution on large frames. If you are taking 1 frame every 15-30s using a real camera you are probably OK, but check the 'Render Time' shown on the status tab of the live stacking window. That shows how long the code takes to go from the calculated stack to the final image to be displayed on the screen - including the time spent sharpening, reducing noise, stretching, colour adjusting, saturation adjusting, etc. If you adjust any of the parameters related to display in the live stack controls then it will take about that long (the render time) for the image to be updated.

cheers,

Robin
cuivenion

Post by cuivenion »

Hi Robin, thanks.

- With the crash report do you need another log off me?
- The deconvolution is definitely not working. The stacking and render time is just over 2 seconds and I have the frames limited to every 8 seconds. The effect is on the max setting. Unsharp mask and the two blur filters work fine.
- I'll send some sample images, a couple of screen grabs showing settings and one without dark with just AWB correction and one with dark but with manual white balance, both the same histogram settings.

After some more testing I've noticed that I can only save exactly as seen once, the save drop down menu doesn't appear if I click on it a second time. If I want to save again I have to close live stacking and then reopen it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

new version uploaded - this fixes a number of issues with your image files, including

* Star detection was dodgy
* Turning on star highlighting crashed sharpcap

I didn't change anything in the deconvolution - it worked for me with those test images but didn't give a good improvement to picture quality - unsharp mask was better. I think that the deconvolution works better for nebulosity.

Please resend the crash report if you see the crash again in the new version - hopefully I will get more info in the log this time and be able to work out the cause.

It would also be helpful if you have a copy of your dark subtracted stack with no manual white balance adjustment applied (ie so I see how it started out before adjustment).

cheers,

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Oh, I forgot to say that the 'save exactly as viewed' worked fine for me (multiple times) - the drop down does disable while it is still saving the first image though - could that have been the problem?

Robin
cuivenion

Post by cuivenion »

Ah it may have been, I'm used to my small sensor images saving quickly, it may take a bit longer for those large files. I'll have a look. I'll get that image to you as well.
cuivenion

Post by cuivenion »

Hi, I emailed the image. I tested the 'save exactly as viewed' again and it's seems to be saving OK now in the new build. The deconvolution has no effect with the m13 image at all as far as I can tell, but it did work on a M27 data set I had.

Let me know if you need anymore files.