Sharpcap 4.0.7888 (Release) - Problem writing files

Discussions, Bug Reports and Issues related to Beta versions of SharpCap
philinbris

Sharpcap 4.0.7888 (Release) - Problem writing files

Post by philinbris »

Hi Robin,
It was a welcome sight to see the release of 4.0.7888 and no longer having the expiry date.
I installed that over 4.0.7859 and all seemed well.
The I setup an imaging session tonight, and found SharpCap refused to save files saying check permissions, Antivirus etc. Antivirus reported no blocking. I thought it was too long a file name because I had adjusted the capture file name format in settings. But it was not that as shortening it back did not solve the problem.
I still had V3 installed, so I tried that and all files saved to the same location fine.
I then reverted 4.0.7888 to 4.0.7859 and bingo, file saving is OK again.
What may have changed from 7859 to 7888 to cause this?I even tried running 7888 from c:\program files\.... as Admin, but that did not work.
I have always had SharpCap installed to the default location and always used 64 bit version.
My captures are saved to my D Drive, they have always been saved there.
Let me know if there is anything you need me to do.
Cheers
Phil
Rab722

Re: Sharpcap 4.0.7888 (Release) - Problem writing files

Post by Rab722 »

Same problem on both my laptop and desktop computers running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. I tried both 32 and 64 bit version with the same result

All previous versions of Sharpcap worked properly.

Here is your log entry when the error is displayed

Error 07:37:38.445363 #33 Error from adding FITS header : FrameStartTime=06/18/2021 11:37:29 // : Exception of type 'HeaderCardException' : Keyword too long
Stack Trace: at new nom.tam.fits.HeaderCard(string key, string val, string comment, bool nullable) in C:/Documents/Source Code/csharpfits/CSharpFITS/fits/HeaderCard.cs:line 138
at void nom.tam.fits.Header.AddValue(string key, string val, string comment) in C:/Documents/Source Code/csharpfits/CSharpFITS/fits/Header.cs:line 351
at void SharpCap.Base.FileWriters.FitsFileWriter.AddHeader(BasicHDU hdu, KeyValuePair<()> item) in C:/Documents/Source Code/SharpCap/src/SharpCap.Base/FileWriters/FitsFileWriter.cs:line 367
at void SharpCap.Base.FileWriters.FitsFileWriter.AddMetadataToFrame(FrameInfo info, BasicHDU hdu) in C:/Documents/Source Code/SharpCap/src/SharpCap.Base/FileWriters/FitsFileWriter.cs:line 321 in void SharpCap.Base.FileWriters.FitsFileWriter.WriteFrameImpl(FrameReference frameRef)
Error 07:37:38.446365 #33 Writing frame : Exception of type 'HeaderCardException' : Keyword too long
Stack Trace: at new nom.tam.fits.HeaderCard(string key, string val, string comment, bool nullable) in C:/Documents/Source Code/csharpfits/CSharpFITS/fits/HeaderCard.cs:line 138
at void nom.tam.fits.Header.AddValue(string key, string val, string comment) in C:/Documents/Source Code/csharpfits/CSharpFITS/fits/Header.cs:line 351
at void SharpCap.Base.FileWriters.FitsFileWriter.AddHeader(BasicHDU hdu, KeyValuePair<()> item) in C:/Documents/Source Code/SharpCap/src/SharpCap.Base/FileWriters/FitsFileWriter.cs:line 367
at void SharpCap.Base.FileWriters.FitsFileWriter.AddMetadataToFrame(FrameInfo info, BasicHDU hdu) in C:/Documents/Source Code/SharpCap/src/SharpCap.Base/FileWriters/FitsFileWriter.cs:line 327
at void SharpCap.Base.FileWriters.FitsFileWriter.WriteFrameImpl(FrameReference frameRef) in C:/Documents/Source Code/SharpCap/src/SharpCap.Base/FileWriters/FitsFileWriter.cs:line 209
at void SharpCap.Base.FileWriters.FileWriterBase.WriteFrame(FrameReference frame) in C:/Documents/Source Code/SharpCap/src/SharpCap.Base/FileWriters/FileWriterBase.cs:line 147
at void SharpCap.Base.BaseImageProvider.RunWriteThread() in C:/Documents/Source Code/SharpCap/src/SharpCap.Base/BaseImageProvider.cs:line 269 in void SharpCap.Base.BaseImageProvider.CaptureWriteThreadProc()
Debug 07:37:38.449367 #1 Notification (Status=Error): SharpCap could not write to the capture file - no more frames will be written. Check disk space, permissions and AntiVirus. The capture file name was C:\Users\Rick\Desktop\SharpCap Captures\2021-06-18\Capture\07_37_38\Capture_00001.fits in void SharpCap.UI.NotificationViewModel.DisplayMessage(NotificationMessage message)
Info 07:37:46.887227 #33 Dropped frames : 4 of type NoLongerCapturing

Rick
philinbris

Post by philinbris »

Hey Rick,
Thanks for posting the log. Saved me doing it.
Cheers
procyon12

Post by procyon12 »

No issue here with 32bit pro under W7-64 and W10-64.

Christian
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

thanks for the report - this is a ZWO camera/FITS saving problem only. I added some logic based around recording the frame start time to catch cases where the camera produced frames that were shorter than expected and I forgot that the data I had added would also get put into the FITS headers :(

Time to fix the original problem another way! I will also put out an update containing the fix later.

thanks,

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

please try 4.0.7897 from https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-4-0-downloads - this will hopefully fix the problem.

thanks,

Robin
Rab722

Post by Rab722 »

Looks like your update worked. Thanks

Rick
philinbris

Post by philinbris »

Yep confirmed for me too.
And you have also fixed the Sequencer Planner basic vs advanced gain and exposure setting problem. Thanks for that.
Did you also fix the Sequence exposure time to completion accuracy?
Cheers
Phil
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Phil,

the estimate for time to completion should be better, but not perfect.

Glad the other fixes worked for you :)

cheers,

Robin
philinbris

Post by philinbris »

Thats great thanks Robin.
Phil