Darks and hot pixels

Discussions, Bug Reports and Issues related to Beta versions of SharpCap
JimsShed

Darks and hot pixels

Post by JimsShed »

Hi Robin,
I love the new sequencer and the first thing I tried to do was use it to create a set of darks for a range of exposures, but...(sad face).
Can you please include a sequence step for darks. Us EAA guys typically use a range of exposure intervals during a session and darks are essential to minimise the hot pixels and the dreaded rain.

Also, on the topic of hot pixels, which are the bane of my life, ZWO's ASI Studio-->ASILive program which has basic live stacking etc, has one very impressive feature in it's Stack Settings named "Remove Hot Pixel".
I don't know what they're doing under the hood, but with my ASI294MC Pro, I don't even bother using Darks in ASILive. Can I suggest that since SharpCap augments so many of their camera sales, that maybe you could reach out to them with the objective of including their function in SharpCap.

Cheers, Jim
admin
Site Admin

Re: Darks and hot pixels

Post by admin »

Hi Jim,

do you mean the capturing and averaging of darks as you do from the 'Capture' menu? It's certainly something I can consider for a future update (unfortunately it's not a quick/easy thing as I have to detangle the code that generates the master dark from the code that handles the user interface for the Capture Dark window).

As for the hot pixels, certainly something interesting to think about - SharpCap does hot pixel removal along with the dark frame correction (basically it looks for anomalous pixel values in the dark, which are flagged as 'hot'). That's a bit harder without the dark frame as you expect there to be bright pixels in the light frames, so you have to separate single bright pixels (which are probably hot) from blobs of bright pixels (which are probably stars).

cheers,

Robin