QHY294PROC striking lines on main stars ...

Discussions, Bug Reports and Issues related to Beta versions of SharpCap
sharpcapt

QHY294PROC striking lines on main stars ...

Post by sharpcapt »

Hello
I did a test, which I hoped it was not going to be just a test ... on Leo Triplets.

I used 4.0.7438, and I did set camera:
RGB 16/16/16 as in QHYCCD recommendation (even thou SharpCap still loads 120).
Live Stack at 12x 60s 1675 gain, as suggested by the 'Brain' after it tested LIVE using the 'correct' Sensor Analysis data, already had gathered with same SharpCap version - first time I used the SharpCap Brain function.
I aplied Flats and Darks - which I checked were fine. I also tried adjusting Banding - if that would help.

Al I have got is a lot of striking lines - although image seems decent and skies were not super clear.
Stack_16bits_16frames_720s.jpg
Stack_16bits_16frames_720s.jpg (24.73 KiB) Viewed 736 times
.. the previous time I did not have any problems with earlier Beta version at 1601 Gain, apart my bad flats, which I corrected this time.

I am only reporting it.

Next time will use the Stable version to actually take some decent images - one can only hope!

I am still learning this camera behaviour.

Thanks
M

PS I also tried same gain as previous beta version at 1601 - same problem - all other settiga were the same - I have them saved as profile and check the anyway.
Last edited by sharpcapt on Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sharpcapt

Re: QHY294PROC striking lines on main stars ...

Post by sharpcapt »

... I did not have time to to processing, but I have just checked one of the stacks 'raw images' that has the tacked strikes and they all are OK!

So, it might just have been the LIVE stacking - maybe I have changed some settings without realising it?

I will try and check more either tonight or next few days when I have the time.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

were you using the 'Banding Suppression' function by any chance? That tries to remove horizontal banding in the image, but it's possible that in some circumstances could cause the sort of lines you are seeing in the stacked (processed) images, but not in the RAW unprocessed ones.

cheers,

Robin
sharpcapt

Post by sharpcapt »

No, I normally never used it, but I switched it on after I saw those lines and they seemed to go off the LIVE stacking.

Then they re-appeared.

I then checked single images and they seem OK.

I re-checked them now and they are OK, I am now stacking some to see what happens.

If it is nothing to do with LIVE stack settings, then it is possible I might have switched the 'Banding Suppression' by mistake, but I do not think so, as I never used it until now and after.

I hope it is just that, and in any case the software was working very well apart from after about 1 hour it shut itself down.

I understand it is a Beta so, things can a=obviously happen.

Mauro
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

if you have time to share a selection of the RAW files along with the dark and flat that you used I would be keen to test myself to see if I can understand where the banding is coming from - it definitely sounds like it could be a stacking glitch, but I have not seen that one before. If you also look next to your saved stacked image, there should be a capture settings file which now contains most (not quite all) of the live stacking settings - that info is also useful for trying to recreate issues.

thanks,

Robin