Best score and Best Position not functioning in beta version

Discussions, Bug Reports and Issues related to Beta versions of SharpCap
RickBG

Best score and Best Position not functioning in beta version

Post by RickBG »

Hi Robin,

When using the "Focus Assistance Tools" applying either "Contrast Edge Detection" or "Bahtinov Mask" in SC Pro beta version, the "Best Score" and the "Best Position" doesn't function. In other words, upon completion of focusing, when I click on either the Best Score or the Best Position they don't respond.

Rick
admin
Site Admin

Re: Best score and Best Position not functioning in beta version

Post by admin »

Hi Rick,

just to check a couple of things...

1) what version of the beta are you running?

2) In the case of the edge detection option, when you have done the focus scan, does SharpCap draw a best fit curve over it like this?
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (25.22 KiB) Viewed 928 times
If there is no best fit curve then that indicates that SharpCap didn't think that the focus data had a clear 'best' position. The checks on this are more stringent in 4.0 than in 3.2 to try to avoid drawing a best fit curve and offering a focus position when all that is going on is that the focuser is moving in the backlash area and the actual changes to the focus score are just random noise. It maybe too strict now? If you are not getting a curve then please post a screenshot of the graph area.

thanks,

Robin
RickBG

Post by RickBG »

Hi Robin,

This occurred using versions 4.0.7529.0 and 4.0.7572.0. No best fit curve was produced...only triangles. Prior to version 4.0 there were no issues. As you said it may be too strict. With this information, please let me know if you still need a screen shot to evaluate further.

Rick
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Rick,

yes please - a screenshot would help me see how good the peak is. Unfortunately the log does not record the raw score data, but I think I may well add that functionality as it could be useful.

thanks,

Robin
RickBG

Post by RickBG »

Hi Robin,

Last evening I tried out the focusing using the Bahtinov mask as requested, and everything appeared to work out fine. But another problem popped up. Under SC captures there was no log present for each of the acquisitions taken that evening. Maybe I unchecked something?

Rick
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Rick,

Glad to hear the focusing is working OK now.

The text files saved alongside the images are controlled by settings - in the first page you have

'Save capture settings file alongside each capture'
and
'Save image histogram data in CSV alongside each capture'

the second option is relatively new (and defaults to off).

cheers,

Robin