No autoupdate after cancel and directing to non existing page for newer versions

Discussions, Bug Reports and Issues related to Beta versions of SharpCap
Menno555

No autoupdate after cancel and directing to non existing page for newer versions

Post by Menno555 »

Version 4.0.7390

When there is an auto message that there is an update available and you cancel that message (for what ever reason), no updates are showing after that. Restarting SC gives no update then, also not through Help - Check For Updates which then says that there are no updates available. This is also with SC 3.2

Also, in the pop-up beta message at start up, where it says "Newer versions maybe available at .. " there is a link leading to http://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/down ... a-versions but that gives a "Page not found".

Menno
admin
Site Admin

Re: No autoupdate after cancel and directing to non existing page for newer versions

Post by admin »

Hi Menno,

fortunately I can fix the missing link up on the server, so that should work now.

I wasn't aware that the cancel of the update blocked detecting new updates - I will look into that.

cheers,

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Re: No autoupdate after cancel and directing to non existing page for newer versions

Post by admin »

Hi Menno,

at what point are you cancelling out of the auto upgrade process and which button do you use to cancel? I've been testing this but can't make it break so far.

cheers,

Robin
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Oh dear, I don't recall that. I know there is a message that there is an update but I don't remember if I used a cancel button or closed it with the X.
Will try to re-create by removing 3.2, remove every trace of it on my PC and install an older version of it.

Menno
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Well, did some testing with both SC 4.0 and 3.3 and in SC itself there are no new versions available (also not with the manual check) while on the site there are.
I also did check in both Windows Firewall and my virusscanner if there were rules/settings that prevented it, also did make explicit rules that allowed SC internet access but that didn't help.

So really don't now.

Menno
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

you've fallen foul of my policy on auto-updates - I don't put a new version up for autoupdate until some time after it is available for manual download. For SharpCap 3.2 that is a few weeks. For 4.0 a few days to a week. The theory is that if I manage to put out a new version with some horrible bug in it, a few people will download and install it and then hopefully report the bug. If I put it up for auto-update straight away I could send a bad version to 1000s of users...

cheers,

Robin
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Hi Robin
Just letting you know that the update is working now as intended. Yesterday I got the notice of a new Beta version and did Ignore/cancel that.
But started SC just now and again the notice and this time I did download and install. Works fine now.

Menno